Greasing UJ's on Prop Shaft?

eds

Do I need a lesson on using a grease gun!?

Having just had a failed UJ I eneded up buying a new rear prop. This needed greasing. I fitted it thinking to grease it afterwards.

My problem is that I am pretty sure the gun is not connecting properly to the uj nipples. When i pump the grease spews everywhere and the gun connector just seems to fall off the nipple.

Normally, on any other nipple, there is a clicking together and no matter how much pumping goes on there is no grease escaping from around the connector.

Is this a known problem with a simple solution or am i just using the gun the wrong way.

Maybe there is a small connector i am missing.

Many thanks in advance

Ed

Thanks Western again!

Do I need to adapt my gun connector or get a much more user friendly connector to make the job easy and to be certain the grease is getting in?

I did try every angle and pushing the connector too. As the grease spews out i can't be sure i am getting any in. Logic tells me that if the pressure is not there to force the grease in then the bearing will not get lubed.

Much thanks

Guest otchie1
Thanks Western again!

Do I need to adapt my gun connector or get a much more user friendly connector to make the job easy and to be certain the grease is getting in?

I did try every angle and pushing the connector too. As the grease spews out i can't be sure i am getting any in. Logic tells me that if the pressure is not there to force the grease in then the bearing will not get lubed.

Much thanks

You are not alone. Happens all the time. I think the nipples aren't supposed to be left in situ but should really be replaced with blanking bolts in use. Maybe I dreamt that though :rolleyes:

Getting the gun off again afterwards can be fun as well.

You can try simply replacing the nipples as they do sieze up - new ones are pennies.

I keep meaning to make an adapter for the grease gun that screws in place of the nipple so as to avoid all this nonsense.

Which prop do you have, the narrow or wide yoke? Withy the wide yoke u/j the gun end fits straight onto the grease nipple.

With the narrow yoke the gun end doesn't fit into the yoke.

I have some long grease nipples. They came from Difflock although you should be able to buy them locally.

I'm given to understand there are two different thread sizes for the grease nipples.

I take the original grease nipple out of the u/j and fit the long one to grease the u/j. When I'm finished greasing the u/j I take the grease nipple out and fit an Allen screw in place of the grease nipple. I do that on each u/j in turn.

HTH

mike

With propshaft UJ's the usual problem is that the yokes are too close together to allow you to push the nozzle fully onto the nipples- resulting in grease going everywhere... as you have already found out!

You can buy longer grease nipples to screw in place while you are greasing and then put the originals back in once done I got mine from Difflock.com I think.

You can also try and find a narrower nozzle for the end of your gun... or take a grinder to your existing one and skim off both sides of the nozzle a bit- as I have done with mine as fitting the longer nipples every time was a bit of a pain...

You also need to make sure that the gun is exactly square on the nipples when you do get it on far enough.

HTH

(Mike was obviously posting at the sema time as me- sorry for repeated info...)

Thanks guys

The magic answer was to grind a couple of flats on either side of the connector.

It was only a small flat that was enough so not difficult. Must not fit by only a fraction unground

The connector clicks on nicely now and you can hear that grease forcing itself in!

Getting the connector off is now the game!

Thanks again people for your help.

Ed

Either it is not fitting in as said, or the grease gun nozzle end (the bit that clamps on the nipple) is just not working properly - it happens and replacements are cheap so may be as well to start with that!

Edited ... beat me to it - glad you got it fixed :)

Edited by BogMonster

• 1 year later...

Just pickingup an old thread, I've always suffered the same problem, where grease squirts out around the nozzle rather than flowing into the nipple. Usually I resign myself to replacing the UJ six months after the nipple stops taking grease.

Today I picked up a pointed conical adaptor for a couple of quid from Cromwell, it pushes the ball bearing in and seals on the conical face. If grease escapes, push harder - simple! Makes a mucky job easier, which means I'm more likely to do it!