Been offered a swap....

rusty_wingnut

my 135k 300tdi 90 for a 1989 3.5 V8 90.

My 90 has and will require chassis welding, but does have a fresh cambelt, new CVs, new rad, new head lamps, slightly crunchy r380, insa saharas on black mods, and a mud dash.

the V8 90 is an ex 2.5 petrol, fitted with a 80k 3.5 V8, lpg equip on board but setup is not connected to engine yet, it has a solid chassis with no obvious holes, slightly knackered lt230, lt85/95 box, needs a new rad, is resprayed black with alloys and insa turbos (as new as my saharas, roughly 1000miles on them), it has rock sliders and some spot lamps.

it looks nice and certainly is more presentable than my 90. both cabs are as naff as each other really.

i don't do many road miles during the week, roughly 2 a day. My 300 does have issues that may prove costly in the long run, so would I be a wise chappy to swap for something with more go thats a bit better looking but slightly older, and risk the V8 issues? I don't go wading but do green lane a bit.

any advice appreciated. :lol:

What ever you decide, be aware that you know in detail what is wrong with your truck and it will take some time to know what is actully wrong with the other one.

On the face of it, I'd say your truck is worth a lot more than the other one, but I haven't seen either.

The Rover V8 is really good at not showing how buggered it really is.

Although it is quite a tough engine, by the time you can tell its buggered its often too late. The damage is already done.

Is it Carbs or EFI?

As an owner of a Defender yourself you will already know where to too look for problems.

To be honest its probably better to get yours welded.

Especially if the RV8 is EFI with a lucas 4CU ecu as these are problematic and not the best design to be used with LPG because of the potential Blowback breaking the Air Flow Meter.

On the other hand, if its running carbs these cause havok off road at dodgy angles, and require more care and attention to keep right.

:blink:

Replacement engines, even Tdi's are cheap as chips these days. I reckon vehicles made around 1990 are about the best corrosion wise - so it may not be a bad choice.

I've had an 1986 110 and a 1990 V8 90, neither of which had any bulkhead or chassis corrosion, without any particular special treatment. I would be very tempted to buy another vehicle of that sort of age just for the corrosion.

Si

Cheers for the info chaps. guess I need a tin of black paint and some wet and dry :D

I have already done the welding required for an MOT this time round but i can forsee in a couple of years it will need a new rear cross. (which I can do, but am becoming lazy these days)

I will probably stick with mine - afterall a 300tdi has to be more valuable than a converted g plate? And it didn't seem capable of pulling away from my 300 on the road :rolleyes:

I will probably stick with mine - afterall a 300tdi has to be more valuable than a converted g plate? And it didn't seem capable of pulling away from my 300 on the road :rolleyes:

Better the devil you know really. A chassis swap on yours would be a better investment. A stock V8 90 is going to be slow because they're detuned and run carbs and dizzy. With an EFi lump in there it'd go quite well.

my 1988 90 has been full of rust had the rear cross member replaced,

but i can see one day i may give up on welding and give it a new chassis

but i know whats wrong and wouldnt swap it for any thing make some more mods but not get rid

i cant see the the guy getting anywere near £4000+ for an old 89 V8 90, although it looks nice in the pics (but then dont they all). unless you think your into some serious spending on yours i would stick with the tdi, and yours must be 5+ years newer and defo worth more..

personlay if you still fancy a V8 you could always see what other offers you get, you will find more people interested in swoping there V8 in favor of your tdi than people after a V8. i would think you would end up with something much newer than a 89....

im a fan of swops myself though, i had an off road preped V8 Hybrid that i swoped for a 300tdi Disco comercial also off road preped, in turn i swoped the Disco for a very solid 200tdi 90 which i have now and intend to keep...