90 Pulling under braking

Hi guys,

Been battling with my 90 pulling badly to the left under braking, i've tried everything I can think of, new pads, bled the system through etc. It's fine if i slam the brakes on as they all lock up. I thought it could be the pistons in the right caliper sticking so have layerd them in WD40 but doesnt seem to have made a difference, they do look a bit dodgy, still sticking perhaps?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

yer the pistons will be sticking. WD40 is unlikely to help as it will be inside the piston bore thats causing the problem.

You may find that stripping them and rebuilding them will cure it, although it depends how corroded the caliper itself is i guess!

If you remove the brake pads and then repeatedly press the brake pedal - the pistons will move out quite a way without actually popping out of the caliper body. If you put a 6mm spacer or old brake pad backplate in the gap, then almost all the piston will be out of the bore. Any pitting will easily be visible, and can be cleaned off with 1000 or 1200 wet/dry paper used with thin oil, such as WD40 or similar.

med_gallery_2_8_145016.jpg

If a caliper is coming on early (binding), then there will be a heat difference between the brakes on one axle and you would easily be able to detect this from the difference in radiated heat from the disc. It may well be visual as well - one disc taking on a blue colour instead of the usual silver.

A caliper may come on later than the opposite same axle, due to a sticking piston, so don't assume that pulling to the left is caused by the left (or right) caliper being the only one at fault.

Faulty back brakes (drum or disc) will pull a vehicle over as well, so don't assume that the problem is on the front axle only.

You can temporarily 'disconnect' the rear brakes by clamping the rear flexi hose to test a front or rear broblem.

Les.

Have you checked your wheels bearings? They can give the same effect. The slop is taken up with the movement of the bearing and hence no braking on that side, if you push really hard it will lock up in the end. I've just done work on a truck with the same symptoms, 1 bearing had disintegrated and was running on compacted earth for a bearing :o . All sorted now though and brakes work fine

Hi guys,

Been battling with my 90 pulling badly to the left under braking, i've tried everything I can think of, new pads, bled the system through etc. It's fine if i slam the brakes on as they all lock up. I thought it could be the pistons in the right caliper sticking so have layerd them in WD40 but doesnt seem to have made a difference, they do look a bit dodgy, still sticking perhaps?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

Don't forget to check the rear brakes AND suspension bushes. A collapsed trailing arm bush can cause 'rear steering' under braking.

Regards,

Diff

hi guys,

Update: Still no closer to figuring out what is causing it. Have tried cleaning up the pistons - they look better but no joy.

However, something I did forget to mention is that last week I changed the whole hub assy as one unit on the right (half shaft swival ball, disk, hub etc. but not the caliper) as a temp. measure when I had a CV joint go. I'm going to put back on the old disk tomorrow and see if that makes things any better.

Failing this i'll re-furb the right caliper with new pistons etc. and see if that sorts it.

As for wheel bearings and bushes all mine have been done v. recently so it is unlikely to be that but before anyone says i know not to count it out alltogether.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Les i'll bear that in mind and change them as a pair if needs be. Yea brake hoses are good, changed them last month for Goodrich braided ones.

I'll see if this disk change makes a difference then if not i'll re-build both calipers.

Cheers

Tom