P38 - Has a Tendency to Wander with the Camber...

Fatboy

Evening all,

I've recently bought a 4.6 HSE P38 and spend the last couple of weeks fitting new suspension bags, discs and giving it a general service. Also got myself a set of bling Rangie Sport alloys :P

It passed its MOT on Friday (Yahoo!) and I got the garage to check the tracking as it tends to follow the camber of the road rather a lot. I've also played around a bit with front tyre pressures but that didn't make a massive difference.

So, the question is.... Is there any way of tightening up the steering box to reduce the little bit of play which lets it wander?

Thanks for any help or tips!

Ah, yes indeed there is, Chunky one! :lol:

The P38 steering box is a bit like the classic in that there is an Allen screw on top with a 17mm lock nut. To remove a bit of play, mark the allen screw then crack the lock nut (You need to mark the screw to keep a reference in case it turns with the lock nut). Then, carefully wind it in a bit, snug the lock nut up and try it out.

Be careful not to overdo it or the steering will stiffen up and not self centre...

RTFM. :blink:

Oh, and while you are talking to yourself, I'll bet you wish you hadn't bothered with the new shocks this evening, they didn't make any difference did they?

No.

The Sport alloys came with part worn Pirelli's on them so I intended to use them until they are worn down.

Although the "camber following" is not as bad as it was, it is still "just" there. I actually had to slightly back off the steering box adjustment again as it was reluctant to self/centre and felt weird. The total adjustment made is just a tad less than a quarter turn. If your mate does it, tell him to make sure he marks the adjustment screw before moving it and to only turn 1/8 before taking the car out for a spin to test it.

Last night I fitted a new drag link as I thought there was a bit of play on one of the track rod ends (and I had the new one anyway).

On our wonderful local roads, the car tends to rock a bit at speed which may also contribute to the steering issue, so I may replace the back shocks tonight and possibly swap wheels about. This is all taking time because I'm making a change and trying it out rather than making a couple and not actually being able to quantify its effectiveness. ;)

The Sport alloys came with part worn Pirelli's on them so I intended to use them until they are worn down.

Although the "camber following" is not as bad as it was, it is still "just" there. I actually had to slightly back off the steering box adjustment again as it was reluctant to self/centre and felt weird. The total adjustment made is just a tad less than a quarter turn. If your mate does it, tell him to make sure he marks the adjustment screw before moving it and to only turn 1/8 before taking the car out for a spin to test it.

Last night I fitted a new drag link as I thought there was a bit of play on one of the track rod ends (and I had the new one anyway).

On our wonderful local roads, the car tends to rock a bit at speed which may also contribute to the steering issue, so I may replace the back shocks tonight and possibly swap wheels about. This is all taking time because I'm making a change and trying it out rather than making a couple and not actually being able to quantify its effectiveness. ;)

p38a with steering problems lets start with the basics and work back did it do it with the old rims fitted?

check all the ball joints for play any little play will be bad.

don't adjust the steering box as you will loading the bearings inside and causing early wearing in the box.

to check for free play in the box ensure the tyre pressures are correct and slowly rock the steering wheel untill you see movement on the front wheels depending on the free play about a 1/2" from center either side is ok and the wheel movement is a nats knackar

if after that it still pulls and the tyres are not directional swap them round and retry as it can be the tyres them selves

How much tread do you have on your tyres? I've had three P38 RR's, two from new and latest one and all have exhibited these traits on worn M&S type road tyres. Typically once it gets past 5mm.

I bought some RR sport 19" alloys with 4mm P Scorpion's recently to put on RR while I got stock alloys refurbed and had same handling issues. So I'm not a fan road type tyres like the Wrangler HP, Scorpion etc and also not a fan of harder ride with 19's and low profile tyres.

So I put new 18" alloys on with some decent new AT's on and problem fixed...

080727_0106Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

p38a with steering problems lets start with the basics and work back did it do it with the old rims fitted?

Don't know. All four wheels had different tyres in different stages of wear. One of the reasons I got the replacements.

if after that it still pulls and the tyres are not directional swap them round and retry as it can be the tyres them selves

Tried that last night, swapped front to back. Made no difference. Visually, the four tyres are almost identical with flat, even wear.

How much tread do you have on your tyres? I've had three P38 RR's, two from new and latest one and all have exhibited these traits on worn M&S type road tyres. Typically once it gets past 5mm.

I bought some RR sport 19" alloys with 4mm P Scorpion's recently to put on RR while I got stock alloys refurbed and had same handling issues.

Oh... :ph34r: I've just fitted 19" RR Sport Alloys with Pirelli Scorpion's, at about 4-5mm tread. Identical to the ones you sold! ;)

Looks like I may be heading for some noo boots :rolleyes: Thanks for the replies though, it all helps!