Steering Box

Apart from pipe layout and the bolts on the top of the box is there any real differenct in the boxes?

The reason I ask is mine has run out of adjustment and I still have more than the normal "Land Rover Tolerance" play in the steering, so I need to get a reconned one, and mine is a 6 bolt jobbie.

If there is a benefit to a 3 or 4 bolt over the 6 bolt that is worth altering the pipes for then now would obviously the time to switch. I am not after work for the sake of it as I have enough scabby bits that need my attention without making new problems ;)

Thanks as ever chaps.

check the column jints are in good order as they maybe at fault.

I had a look at those and they are solid, you can see the input shaft of the box turning 1/8th or so of a turn before the arm moves, the box's adjuster has been wound in all the way to take the slack out by the previous owner, leaving me with the fun of replacing it ;)

Guest diesel_jim
I had a look at those and they are solid, you can see the input shaft of the box turning 1/8th or so of a turn before the arm moves, the box's adjuster has been wound in all the way to take the slack out by the previous owner, leaving me with the fun of replacing it ;)

Can't you fit a longer adjustment bolt? :lol::lol:

They didn't invent threaded bar for nothing you know!! :lol::lol:

sounds like he wound it in as a quick fix & hasn't done you any favours, 6 bolt boxes are OK, had one on my 110 for years without any problems.

Can't you fit a longer adjustment bolt? :lol::lol:

They didn't invent threaded bar for nothing you know!! :lol::lol:

:P

I tried winding it in so the locking nut was only holding a couple of threads (still didn't get all teh slack out) and it came undone losing all preload on the top seal and peeing fluid out everywhere, not to mention the randome degrees of slack I was gettin in the steering :P

You should be able to drain them and pour in slightly bigger ball bearings ;)

Paddock do a 6 bolt recon for £200 odd with a £100 refund on return of the old box which seems a good deal. I have used Paddock a air bit over the years and have had excellent service and part quality has never been an issue (touch wood) so was thinking of getting it from them, unless there is some where better / cheaper?

I think I will just get another 6 bolt as I can't be bothered changing pipes if I can avoid it.

You don't need to change any pipes if you're replacing a 6 bolt with a 4 bolt. 3-bolt PAS boxes have different fittings but 6 and 4 bolt boxes use identical ones.

ah well I have a 6 bolt coming now ;) thanks anyway

My box is now randomly going tight than normal tight then normal, so definitely time to replace it.

Also while I am at it does anyone know it the steering drag link / rod ends from a Range Rover p38 fit as I bought some for my rangie but didn't need them so was thinking of popping them onto the Defender while I was doing the steering box?

Cheers chaps

Steve