Best A/T tyres

66gaza

I currently have Cooper Discoverer tyres and I am not over the moon about there tread life so I am contemplating my next set. With the price of fuel I am also wondering if one make is better than another as far as mpg is concernd. I do know that wider tyres increase consumption and that keeping them well pumped up helps mpg but just comparing them to the same size. I understand that BFG A/ts are supposed to last a long time but how long do General AT2's last? Has anyone swapped and noticed a gain or drop in mpg?

Gaza

BFGoodridge AT's are good for 80,000 miles and in the US are garenteed for 50,000 miles

My wifes freelander has General AT2's and My disco 2 has BFG AT's and were very happy with both sets we have done over 30,000 on each and still look new.

BFGoodridge AT's are good for 80,000 miles and in the US are garenteed for 50,000 miles

Wish they did that for down here :rofl:

Somewhere around 24000 out of my last set of BFG AT's on the Discovery :)

I don't think there would be much to choose between the two ATs in terms of economy as the pattern is very similar - possibly the stiffer carcass of the AT2 might give a slight advantage, not really sure. I know my V8 does about 15mpg on BFGs and the Ranger does 29mpg on AT2s but that is hardly a fair comparison :)

i dont think its worth worrying about fuel economy savings when choosing a tread pattern - unless you are deciding based on a comparison of extreme mud terrain to road pattern,

the differences in fuel consumption between one all terrain and another will be negligable. I doubt you'll see more than a couple of mpg difference, unless you compare a very aggressive a/t like the BFG against something like the old avon rangemaster a/t (almost a racing slick).

But when comparing AT2 against BFG a/t or Khump a/t i bet there is no real life difference.

Wish they did that for down here :rofl:

Somewhere around 24000 out of my last set of BFG AT's on the Discovery :)

I don't think there would be much to choose between the two ATs in terms of economy as the pattern is very similar - possibly the stiffer carcass of the AT2 might give a slight advantage, not really sure. I know my V8 does about 15mpg on BFGs and the Ranger does 29mpg on AT2s but that is hardly a fair comparison :)

What are you driving on my old freelander did 60,000miles on BFG AT's

Are you sure the At2 have a much weaker sidwall construction in comparison to the BFG

I could have bought a set At2's for racing on in the BCCC but I when for the BFG's because there far stronger even though I had to find second hand as the size I wanted was on back order....

What are you driving on my old freelander did 60,000miles on BFG AT's

Are you sure the At2 have a much weaker sidwall construction in comparison to the BFG

I could have bought a set At2's for racing on in the BCCC but I when for the BFG's because there far stronger even though I had to find second hand as the size I wanted was on back order....

Mixture of badly maintained concrete/tarmac, and lots of high speed gravel. To put that into context a guy I know who had a D2 a few years ago had shredded a set of normally quite hard wearing Michelin XPCs in 8000 miles...

I don't know for sure about the construction I am just going on what the tyres "feel like" when off the rim, the AT2s seem to have a very tough sidewall and are b*ggers to change! Also if you have two tyres side by side, not mounted on a rim, and give them the "shove test" (push down on the centre of the tread with your hand and see how much the carcass deforms) the AT2s seem some of the strongest in this test and at least as strong as the BFGs. It is not very scientific but is usually proven right in the performance of the tyres after a year or two i.e. the ones that do badly are usually not up to much for puncture resistance, tyre wear etc etc.

I am running the AT2s on my Ranger (1500kg unladen wt) at about 21psi and they seem happy at that, though not recommended for motorway speeds!