I give up with Classics, P38 Buying Advice please...

JourneyMan

After spending the last 9 months looking for an LSE Soft Dash with low mileage I give up! So its looking like a P38 as the three I've looked at aren't full of rust and oil leeks and don't look they've been used as a dog kennel, seem in reasonable nick and have low mileage (under 60K).

After reading all the resources I can find, I'm more confused than before I started, some resources say that the 4.6 is to be avoided at all costs, literally, due to the porous block/liner issues, others say its an urban myth as long as its looked after and the cooling system is in top condition, others say the 4.0 is the engine to go for, thats what the police used!

One 4.6 I've seen has had a new water pump so the coolant/anti-free look new, so its difficult to tell if it has block issues, the top hose seemed ok and not hard after a run, could this have overheated previously? and thats why the pumps been replaced, any easy way to check?

So who out there owns a P38 and what are peoples experience of both engines, also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated, do these rust anywhere as they dont seem as bad as a Classic.

Thanks

After spending the last 9 months looking for an LSE Soft Dash with low mileage I give up! So its looking like a P38 as the three I've looked at aren't full of rust and oil leeks and don't look they've been used as a dog kennel, seem in reasonable nick and have low mileage (under 60K).

After reading all the resources I can find, I'm more confused than before I started, some resources say that the 4.6 is to be avoided at all costs, literally, due to the porous block/liner issues, others say its an urban myth as long as its looked after and the cooling system is in top condition, others say the 4.0 is the engine to go for, thats what the police used!

One 4.6 I've seen has had a new water pump so the coolant/anti-free look new, so its difficult to tell if it has block issues, the top hose seemed ok and not hard after a run, could this have overheated previously? and thats why the pumps been replaced, any easy way to check?

So who out there owns a P38 and what are peoples experience of both engines, also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated, do these rust anywhere as they dont seem as bad as a Classic.

Thanks

Both the 4.0 and the 4.6 are great cars, but like any LR/Rover V8 need a good dose of TLC to keep them in good health.

I would just see what turns up and for what price to make the decision. Unless you are tempted by the bit more power, then you have no choice but to go 4.6 (I did).

The waterpump can be replaced for a number of reason, with mine it was a failing bearing that caused a leak.

Rust is rarely a problem, an easy check is under the flap between the loadspace floor and the bottom tail gate. The frame behind the plastic bumpers can also get a bit rusty, but this is seldom a strucutural problem.

If you inspect one, make sure all the bells and whistles work as they should: cycle EAS up and down, try low gear, all windows, seat heaters, air distribution...

Good luck with the hunt and I hope you find a nice one to enjoy for a long time!

Filip

Thanks

The 4.6 cooling system needs to be looked after. If you look in the maintenance schedule you'll see a new rad is recommended at 6ok. I reckon it's worth the expense - a good friend who bought a beauty recently bought a new BECM a new Rad and a lighstone steering wheel to match his interior togeter with a clear lens conversion and an L322 set of wheels - he has a stunning low mileage motor for less than 8k euros!