suspension tech

dirtydiesel

Been thinking about taking a little foray into building a cantalever setup on the back of my Gwagon.

Partly because i've got a few sets of (too) short travel coilovers, and partly because during the suspension cycle my axle moves around so much as to make packaging conventional springs a real headache.

The idea i'm favouring is to use 8" travel coilovers with a 1:1.5 linkage, joined to the axle by a rose jointed solid bar.

But i also fancy building some kind of riseing rate linkage into this system, but i carn't figure out how.

Anyone got any riseing rate linkage pics, or some tech to have a read of?

can you use something along the lines of the Yamaha monocross or Kawasaki unitrack bellcrank systems?

The bellcrank systems are more what i was thinking of.

I just carn't seem to find a drawing anywhere that plots the centers and gives any ratio information.

Maybe i should break out the mechano? or keep it simple with a single rate linkage?

I think you'd be on a hiding Dan, bear in mind that you need to beef a lot of stuff to get away with it plus any wear on linkages and bearings shows up as slop with a corresponding motion ratio :( hit a bike breakers if you want stuff to play with - £20 and get the swingarm, dogbones, bellcrank etc (measure the shock top mount in relation to the swingarm pivot bolt and the height of the forward dogbone mounts and you'll have all points covered. failing that borrow a bike for an hour.

linear with a high motion ratio? class 7 trophy truck trailing arm stylee?

The bellcrank systems are more what i was thinking of.

I just carn't seem to find a drawing anywhere that plots the centers and gives any ratio information.

Maybe i should break out the mechano? or keep it simple with a single rate linkage?

To get rising rate is pretty simple: were the shock has a 90 degree angle with the link, your ratio is biggest. al you do to work out the lower ratios is measuring from the centre of the shock to the link pivot point.

I have seen this setup on a freelander racer on rangy chassis. He had a bar running through the coilspring and some triangular link to connect the shock to the chassis.

I dont think its the way forward, because the extra complication, weight and complexity are massive for what gain? But by all means show us the result when youre done...

To be honest I dont think rising rate is the way forward myself, unless its done to carry a lot of weight. But suspension is very personal and what works for one person might not work for the other.

Daan