Changing Diffs????????/

S2A109RAG

For example, will a 1999 Discovery 3.5 Diff head bolt into a Salsbury Houseing?

Will the Axels be Different?

Axles and diffs are different. :P

As you have pointed out the rear is a Salisbury axle. 'Normal' Discovery and Range Rover diffs are 'Rover' type.

Additionally, unless you have a very late Series 3 from the early 80s, you will need a 10 spline diffs, but the 1999 Discovery diff is a 24 spline one.

Thats about all I can help with, I'm not a Salisbury axle expert :)

I dont know about a salsbury housing but i have change mine from the series 4.7 to range rover 3.5 (due to fitting a 200tdi) and they are fine they work really well and increase the top end speed by quite alot

Chris

Ok, so i take it you just used the rover diff houseing and bolted the 3.5 straight in? Same axels?

Thanks....

You can swap earlier 10-spline Rover diffs, for example Range Rover / Disco / Defender all up to the mid 90's into Series, but only between Rover-type diffs. You don't need to change anything, just make sure you end up with the correct complement of filler & drain plugs :ph34r:

The Salisbury is a lot harder, you can swap a Salisbury for a 3.54:1 from the back of a 110 or 130, but it's a lot of hassle. Your best option is to use the Salisbury from the back of a 109 Stage 1 V8, these are 3.54:1 ratio but in a Series casing. All Salisburys are 24-spline.

Gearbox wise, it depends on you. I ran a 3.9 V8 through a Series box to 3.54:1 diffs for years with no problems whilst Tonk was blowing Series boxes every few months with a 2.5 NA Diesel and Series diffs.

Axles and diffs are different. :P

As you have pointed out the rear is a Salisbury axle. 'Normal' Discovery and Range Rover diffs are 'Rover' type.

Additionally, unless you have a very late Series 3 from the early 80s, you will need a 10 spline diffs, but the 1999 Discovery diff is a 24 spline one.

Thats about all I can help with, I'm not a Salisbury axle expert :)

The sailsbury i came across on a wreck i braught for parts. was a V8. 80/81 i believe.? from memory its 24 spline..

My S2A still has the rover type diffs and housings.

will the rover housing take the Discovery diff head?

is one stronger than the other??

Thankyou.....

You can swap earlier 10-spline Rover diffs, for example Range Rover / Disco / Defender all up to the mid 90's into Series, but only between Rover-type diffs. You don't need to change anything, just make sure you end up with the correct complement of filler & drain plugs :ph34r:

The Salisbury is a lot harder, you can swap a Salisbury for a 3.54:1 from the back of a 110 or 130, but it's a lot of hassle. Your best option is to use the Salisbury from the back of a 109 Stage 1 V8, these are 3.54:1 ratio but in a Series casing. All Salisburys are 24-spline.

Gearbox wise, it depends on you. I ran a 3.9 V8 through a Series box to 3.54:1 diffs for years with no problems whilst Tonk was blowing Series boxes every few months with a 2.5 NA Diesel and Series diffs.

Very Helpful. thankyou.

Im not sure im going to want to change a gearbox every 4 months.... just hope it will hold togeather with a whopping 70KW racing through it??

The sailsbury i came across on a wreck i braught for parts. was a V8. 80/81 i believe.? from memory its 24 spline..

My S2A still has the rover type diffs and housings.

will the rover housing take the Discovery diff head?

is one stronger than the other??

Thankyou.....

You need to spin the drive flange and count the turns then, if it was a factory V8 it'll be a Stage 1 and 3.54:1 ratio.

The Rover housing will take any 10-spline Rover diff, so it will take the diffs from RR, Disco, Defender.

The 3.54 diffs are stronger than the Series ones, however the Salisbury is stronger than either.

As I said, the gearbox depends on your driving style, you can kill it in a few days if you really try, or you can make it last years and years.

You need to spin the drive flange and count the turns then, if it was a factory V8 it'll be a Stage 1 and 3.54:1 ratio.

The Rover housing will take any 10-spline Rover diff, so it will take the diffs from RR, Disco, Defender.

The 3.54 diffs are stronger than the Series ones, however the Salisbury is stronger than either.

As I said, the gearbox depends on your driving style, you can kill it in a few days if you really try, or you can make it last years and years.

I like the sound of the stronger option. Will the 3.54:1 gear it up too much for offroad use? or is there a gearbox option that will allow my to keep the 4.7 sailsbury rear, and standard rover 4.7 front? and keep the revs down on the motorway?????

Bearing in mind Its the standard gearbox in a 1968 S2A that i have at the moment.

Thankyou.

p.s. What would a 4.7 sailsbury belong to????

Will the 3.54:1 gear it up too much for offroad use?

Depends on your engine and what you're driving really, I found them fine on the road with a V8 and hill descents a little faster than I'd have liked off-road. If you're rock crawlin' that may be unacceptable.

Or is there a gearbox option that will allow my to keep the 4.7 sailsbury rear, and standard rover 4.7 front? and keep the revs down on the motorway?????

You could fit an overdrive, they're fairly cheap 2nd hand although you want to get a decent one.

You could drop the drivetrain from another vehicle such as a Range Rover 5-speed in there. You'd have to check out the ratios though as they're geared for 3.54 diffs. That option does mean you could run 3.54's and keep the lowness of low range whilst having a higher high range. There's a gear ratio calculator thing with all the land rover gearboxes & axles listed in the technical archive.

p.s. What would a 4.7 sailsbury belong to????

Any 109" Land Rover built from shortly after yours onwards.

What I run in my 88" 200Tdi with series box is;

Ashcroft high ratio transfer box (it is the best solution and I've run it for 15 years now). Back axle Rover with 4.7 pegged diff with 24 spline arb centre and KAM 24 spline shafts with standard late series 24 spline hubs. Front 10 spline truetrac with late model 10/24 spline shafts. I think this is about as good as it gets whilst keeping Series axle casings, unless of course you want to spend mega bucks on American exotica.

I can cruise at 70mph and ahem on tracks etc pull 80 on 235/85R16 Grizzly Claws whilst still having a decent low ratio for off-roading.

What I run in my 88" 200Tdi with series box is;

Ashcroft high ratio transfer box (it is the best solution and I've run it for 15 years now). Back axle Rover with 4.7 pegged diff with 24 spline arb centre and KAM 24 spline shafts with standard late series 24 spline hubs. Front 10 spline truetrac with late model 10/24 spline shafts. I think this is about as good as it gets whilst keeping Series axle casings, unless of course you want to spend mega bucks on American exotica.

I can cruise at 70mph and ahem on tracks etc pull 80 on 235/85R16 Grizzly Claws whilst still having a decent low ratio for off-roading.

Pegged diff? What is this?

Thankyou..