Leaking sunroofs again!

Tomas4x4

After sealing up my sunroofs on my disco commercial, they have once again started to leak, now im getting pretty fed up of everything getting damp and smelly. So I was wondering if anyone has blanked off their sunroofs or if there is a product on the market to do this? Im not fussed about the sunroofs, id rather them not there than leaking!

Any info and suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers!

Tom.

After sealing up my sunroofs on my disco commercial, they have once again started to leak, now im getting pretty fed up of everything getting damp and smelly. So I was wondering if anyone has blanked off their sunroofs or if there is a product on the market to do this? Im not fussed about the sunroofs, id rather them not there than leaking!

Any info and suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers!

Tom.

Hi dont know how you have sealed them but we did my brother in laws by cleaning the rubber seal with white spirit then used a weather proof silicone closed the sunroofs up to date they havent leaked, well if they have he hasnt said anything

Both of the sunroofs leaked so I sealed them up good and proper (or so I thought), the back is now leaking badly, all my carpets are wet again and it stinks of damp. Ive pulled out the sunroof and the seal, cleaned all the carp out of the channels and seal, but now the seal wont go back in because it seems to have stretched, so a new seal ordered (£24!!!) Going to fit that with some more silicone sealent and hopefully that will do!

Ive also got a damp patch in the passenger footwell, I thought I had sorted it when I sealed up the front sunroof but its damp again, its by the edge of the door. Has anyone else got this? and know the source? Im a bit concerened as I dont want my floor rotting away!

Cheers.

Tom.

Ive also got a damp patch in the passenger footwell, I thought I had sorted it when I sealed up the front sunroof but its damp again, its by the edge of the door. Has anyone else got this? and know the source? Im a bit concerened as I dont want my floor rotting away!

Cheers.

Tom.

Mine leaks like that on both sides, the footwells are full of water. I'm going to try silicone in the windscreen seal and sealing the leading edge of the roof. I'll let you know how I go on. :)

Mine leaks like that on both sides, the footwells are full of water. I'm going to try silicone in the windscreen seal and sealing the leading edge of the roof. I'll let you know how I go on. :)

Hi

Is it definitely the sunroof? If you have AC, could your external drains be blocked? Mine were and my carpets are now out of the car drying out as they were damp and smelly. It was unbeliveable how wet they were. I noticed a trickle of water coming from the vent in the drivers footwell. When I took the carpet out I had a pool in each footwell.

I got under the car and squeezed the rubber drains either side of the gearbox and a flood of water came out.

There is a vent in the passanger footwelll and for the rear seats as well. The AC was draining into the car as the drains were blocked. A quick check is to run the AC and look for the water stains on the ground.

Maybe you have this going on as well as a sunroof leak?

My sunnroof was also leaking pretty badly. I was about to drop the headlining to fix the drain tubes from the sunroof tray, when I decided to run some black electrical tape around the gap where the sunroof frame meets the roof. This has completely cured my leak. It would be worth looking at this join as well as the seal area.

Cheers

Andy

Hi

Is it definitely the sunroof? If you have AC, could your external drains be blocked? Mine were and my carpets are now out of the car drying out as they were damp and smelly. It was unbeliveable how wet they were. I noticed a trickle of water coming from the vent in the drivers footwell. When I took the carpet out I had a pool in each footwell.

I got under the car and squeezed the rubber drains either side of the gearbox and a flood of water came out.

There is a vent in the passanger footwelll and for the rear seats as well. The AC was draining into the car as the drains were blocked. A quick check is to run the AC and look for the water stains on the ground.

Maybe you have this going on as well as a sunroof leak?

My sunnroof was also leaking pretty badly. I was about to drop the headlining to fix the drain tubes from the sunroof tray, when I decided to run some black electrical tape around the gap where the sunroof frame meets the roof. This has completely cured my leak. It would be worth looking at this join as well as the seal area.

Cheers

Andy

This might seem an odd call, but the disco also has a problem with the alpine light windows, they leak and rot around the rubber seal, check this isnt a problem area as well as this if left unchecked will take the rear floor sides just behind the wheelarches out.

Both of the sunroofs leaked so I sealed them up good and proper (or so I thought), the back is now leaking badly, all my carpets are wet again and it stinks of damp. Ive pulled out the sunroof and the seal, cleaned all the carp out of the channels and seal, but now the seal wont go back in because it seems to have stretched, so a new seal ordered (£24!!!) Going to fit that with some more silicone sealent and hopefully that will do!

Cheers.

Tom.

My damp patch in the passenger footwell was a result of water geting through the bolt hole in the inner wing where the support bracket for the glove box is located.

So take off the passenger kick panel and with a bright tourch look up under the dash and look at the bracket mounting on the inner wing u may see water stains from the fixing bolts or even a small drip of water as all I had was one or two small drips a minute which was all I needed to wet the carpet felt. A quick blob of mastic over the bolt head did the trick..