Mantec vs. Bearmach wheel carriers

Guest diesel_jim

Hi

We've used both the Bearmach and Mantec carriers, and I would say that in terms of the quality once they're fitted, there's not much between them. We went for the Bearmach on the old hard top because it seemed to represent better value for money at the time - roughly similar quality to the Mantec, but for a lot less money.

For the newer Station Wagon we went for the Mantec. After searching the forums the general consensus seemed to be that the Mantec would be easier to fit, and that was certainly the case. The Mantec carrier is designed to make use of existing holes so that you only have to drill one hole through the body of the Land Rover, which even I was able to cope with.

Whichever one you go for, you have to state which door you have - we've got the 02 one-piece rear door. We went looking for deals at this year's Billing and found that the Bearmach carriers for this door were considerably more expensive than for the older door, according to several suppliers. Mantec, on the other hand, did a good deal at the show, so that price-wise there was little between them.

The current version of the Mantec carrier for the 02 rear door does clear the NAS lights, because it attaches below the lights to the crossmember. But it does make it virtually impossible to fit any bumperettes.

Several people have mentioned the carrier with the high-lift jack fitting, which is sold by Safari Equip (and is the same one that Scorpion used to sell). There's two versions - both with and without the high lift bracket. I didn't look at this because I assumed that it would be overly expensive, but subsequently came across people who managed to get one for even less than the cost of the Mantec. Personally, I wouldn't want to leave the Jack on the outside of the vehicle where it will rust and get nicked.

Hope this helps

Cheeky

Put me down on the Mantec side. Went on well (apart from the previous muppet owner who "mended" the frame inside the door) and I've never really noticed it since. It's very robust, just sits there quietly with the spare wheel on it, opens with the door and , well does what it's supposed to do.

Malcolm

• 1 year later...

Bearmach for me all the way:

I have one on - it was on before purchase, I have had it 6yrs and absolutely no probs at all. It has taken a bit of a hammering but is in v good nick.

I have a NATO hitch (mounted at top of x-member!!) and my spare is a 33", no interference, and it swings nicely out the way too (can't mount a Mantec due to fouling). I don't mind it being a bit more over the right as I mount a bike rack on my spare and it keeps it from sticking the bike into the hedge on the narrow lanes I go along to the usual mtb trail.

Just my 2p worth...!

G

I have a mantec, strong as anything, the plunger that rides in a pipe that keeps the carrier mated to the door when you open it is made of nylon, really smooth and easy to open. my Uncle has a Bearmach (I think) carrier, does the same thing but not nearly as well, the plunger instead of being nylon and low friction appears to be made if yellow passivate coated steel, makes a horrid noise when you open it plus it's not nearly as smooth or easy to open as the mantec.

Buy the mantec. it looks better and performs better. (even though it costs a bit more ;) )

• 10 years later...
On 8/13/2008 at 5:48 PM, Yostumpy said:

AHHHH!!!!! Just to thro a spanner in the works, take a look at the simmonites website, defender external accories. To me it look the same as the earlier mantec one. This is called african spec!, I like this 'cause it opens with the door-on the same plane as the door (like mantec) I mean the pivots are in line with the hinges. Others are pivoted at the other edge of the rear panel, this needs a complex double hinge pivot type thing, as the carrier and the door operate thro different arcs. More hinge points and more to wear out and rattle. take a look.............. Oh and its £157+vat.

Last week I got in tough with simmonites and was quoted £330 incl vat. The Mantec which I bought was only £10 more,so why buy anything other than the Manteca?