Knackered gearbox?

DEF V8

Hi, can anyone help? I`ve just bought a V8 110 on e-bay. First impressions were good, 90k genuine , recent paint, good history. Being my first landy i have to ask what might be a daft question....are all manual boxes this NOISY?? 4th seems to be the only quiet gear, am i being fussy. If the box is dead, how can i identify which model i have?? HELP.

The first rule of Land Rover ownership - after "join LR4x4.com" :P is seek out a good local club and join them. That way, you can tap someone up for a ride in each others vehicles to compare noises, or you could find a local forum member willing to help, filling in your profile (whereabouts) will help greatly in this respect.

Be aware you have the main gearbox (which could be one of a couple of types) and the transfer box (LT230) so make sure you're actually looking at the right thing, and putting the correct oil in the correct hole!

There's guidance on identifying which gearbox you have on Ashcrofts website.

I'd drop the gearbox oil and replenish and see what difference that makes before writing-off the box personally. Is it difficult to select gears?

No, it selects all gears easily.In fact even the wife finds it easy!! It drove back from Yorkshire to Cornwall (400 miles ) making the noise all the way. It sounds similar to a straihgt cut gear box. Even reverse is the same.4th is quiet.