Help required identifying toyota axles

muddy

Hi all, I have this pair of toyota axles sat around an i would like to know what they are off and more importantly how strong they are likley to be.

Certainly the back diff is about 3.5 ratio no idea on the front one.

Few pics for you.

12082008573.jpg

12082008574.jpg

12082008576.jpg

12082008577.jpg

12082008578.jpg

12082008579.jpg

Are rear discs available to fit these or is it too much hassle? Also does anyone have any idea what they are worth (i have the other two wheels)

Cheers, Will.

They look like 60 series axles, does the rear have a removeable diff pan? that would positively identify them as 60's disc conversions are easy enough. you might find them a little narrow for a landy though.

They are plenty strong enough as the are, they are the only cruiser axle that uses a 9" diff in the front, shafts and cv's are a little weak but are available from longfield to make them A1

As for price £150 max

Looks early hi-lux to me. Leafers all round but discs at front, with a hypoid rear diff but the non hypoid front.

60- cruisers onwards usually had a 4.11 diff, but could be specified with a 3.7

40 series came with a 3.7 diff as standard.

Hi-lux ratios commonly found in britain run from 3.583 up to 4.88- although toyota manufactured hi-lux ratios from 3.333 right the way up to 7.64, which would suggest he has a 3.583 setup.

Hi-lux or early Prado grey import - sort of a 70 series thing with a crappy 2.0TD in it

Definatly not a hilux, because of anti roll bar and the front cross over steering.

And definatly not 70 series as they have the track bar at the rear of the axle and the run a high pinion in the front

You can just about see the removable rear diff pan in the pics which marks them as 40 or 60 series due to these models having C clip rear axles.

Definatly not a hilux, because of anti roll bar and the front cross over steering.

And definatly not 70 series as they have the track bar at the rear of the axle and the run a high pinion in the front

You can just about see the removable rear diff pan in the pics which marks them as 40 or 60 series due to these models having C clip rear axles.

If I had said they were 60 or 40 series you would have come up with something different :P

Take a peak at a grey import jap spec 2.0ltr Hi-lux MK1 :rolleyes:

But the money says it's a BJ70 or 71 imported into the UK as a Prado from '84 to the early '90's

Steering is correct as is the ARB and the rear diff strengthening fins

Been wrong before though!

Cheers chaps, yes the rear pan is removeable so i guess they are 60's.

I think i'll stick with my sailsbury and AEU2522's for now, it seems like a lot of work if there not actually that much stronger.

Off to ebay with them i think :rolleyes:

Interesting.I didn't realise the C clip semi floating axles were retained for so long on UK spec LandCruisers. I've seen them on 60 series in sth east Asia but here in OZ the fully floating rear axle has been standard equipment on all Cruisers since the introduction of the 40 series with 4 speed gearbox replacing the earlier 3spd circa 1973.

Bill.

Interesting.I didn't realise the C clip semi floating axles were retained for so long on UK spec LandCruisers. I've seen them on 60 series in sth east Asia but here in OZ the fully floating rear axle has been standard equipment on all Cruisers since the introduction of the 40 series with 4 speed gearbox replacing the earlier 3spd circa 1973.

Bill.

i believe Aus was the only market to get fully floating rear axles on the 60 series.

i believe Aus was the only market to get fully floating rear axles on the 60 series.

i think its a change that came in with the 62 series. i dont think there are many 62's in britain, which is maybe why most are not full floaters. i certainly know japanese 62's had them as did north american market ones. whether or not it applied to all of them is a different matter. there was a kit available to convert between to fully floating. its probably worth visiting ih8mud.com if anyone is looking for one, there's probably also some coverage of 60 series axles in an f.a.q thread.