Laning in Hertfordshire

Grant.

I dont have my map of the area to hand, and i'm not going to the LR in this rain, but I will try & describe the ones I know for you.

If you head out of St Albans towards Redbourn, go a 100 yards past that gay bar (Fudge, I think its called) & turn right on the little road down to Redbournbury Mill, where there is a nice ford to cross. This can be a great ford after heavy rain, and not bad at any other time.

Follow this track on for a hundred metres or so to the next ford (a bit shallower.) Wade through & head straight on, DONT turn sharp left IN the ford.

You can follow this track for a couple of miles. It is predominantley a surfaced road, but a pleasant drive nonetheless. If you drive it on a Sunday, there will be several 4x4's driving here, so there are a couple of opportunities to drive on the side slopes, as passing places are non-existent. At the end of the track, turn left onto the main road, then take your very next right, towards the golf course.

At the end of the golf course, turn right & then second left, which looks like it is taking you down someones driveway. Head towards the houses, and the track starts up again to your left, down a nice tight, bumpy & muddy track.

You can link up this route, to several other tracks around the Sandridge/Wheathampstead/Hatfield area. There are a couple of fords just off lower Luton road in the village of Barton.

I know of a few others, but it is quite hard to describe from memory. I will get my map out later when the rain stops.

Hope this helps.

Martin

If you head out of St Albans towards Redbourn, go a 100 yards past that gay bar (Fudge, I think its called) & turn right on the little road down to Redbournbury Mill, where there is a nice ford to cross. This can be a great ford after heavy rain, and not bad at any other time.

Follow this track on for a hundred metres or so to the next ford (a bit shallower.) Wade through & head straight on, DONT turn sharp left IN the ford.

You can follow this track for a couple of miles. It is predominantley a surfaced road, but a pleasant drive nonetheless. If you drive it on a Sunday, there will be several 4x4's driving here, so there are a couple of opportunities to drive on the side slopes, as passing places are non-existent. At the end of the track, turn left onto the main road, then take your very next right, towards the golf course.

Hi Martin

Is this track called Beesonend Lane?????

Also do you have any more lane names so i can find them easily on google maps aswell?

Thanks again!!

Yes, thats the name!!!! I was racking my brain for the name, it was on the tip of my tongue!!!

I dont know any of the other names off hand, but I discovered most of these simply by exploring. When I found something that looked nice, I got out the map & checked if it was OK to drive.

Grant,

You really need to get yourself some 1:50k OS maps. They show lanes that you can legally drive along, namely Byways Open To All Traffic (BOATs) and Unclassified County Roads (UCRs).

If you need a hand to see what's what, I'm not a million miles away in Letchworth :)

Mo

Grant,

You really need to get yourself some 1:50k OS maps. They show lanes that you can legally drive along, namely Byways Open To All Traffic (BOATs) and Unclassified County Roads (UCRs).

If you need a hand to see what's what, I'm not a million miles away in Letchworth :)

Mo

Kk Kl thanks Mo, appreciate that, will look for some maps now!

Take Care

Grant

give me a PM, could maybe take you about berko if you want as there are quite a few lanes.

Some of them are rather tight though!

:lol: how tight we talking?, sounds gooood in my oppinion!

Will pm you when i get back to the uk

Thanks very very much!!

Grant

we did the TOR tulip thingy round hertfordshire and did the long ane with water in it but that was about the only excititng bit about it, also the ford crossing near the mill which was bloody deep. :blink: yes g wagens im afraid sorry

post-1792-1219089501_thumb.jpg

post-1792-1219089517_thumb.jpg

post-1792-1219089536_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

I might be persuaded to come out and play a bit!!

If you have not done Violets lane yet, I can take you down there if you like? I'm always up for a bit of wading.

See me & SWMBO's video of it

Might be nice to find out more about these lanes near Berkhampstead too.

Martin

Yea, want to find these berko lanes aswell!

Ideally if we could do a meet up after the 19th of June would be Great!

I have a few other friends, all local down south to me and you who would join us aswell!

I might be persuaded to come out and play a bit!!

If you have not done Violets lane yet, I can take you down there if you like? I'm always up for a bit of wading.

See me & SWMBO's video of it

Might be nice to find out more about these lanes near Berkhampstead too.

Martin

Wow :D that looks amazing, I love lanes where the trees make a tunnel but this lane looks like a must drive even if it is easy.

Marc.

Wow that looks amazing, I love lanes where the trees make a tunnel but this lane looks like a must drive even if it is easy.

I have driven this lane several times now, and it has been vastly different each time. It has always been a whole lot of fun, especially when there are several Land Rovers in the water at the same time. Everyone meets up at the end to empty out spotlights & check things in the engine bay.

This video was taken on my first visit to Violets which I thought was pretty hairy in places! Went back a few days later & the water level had dropped by about a foot, slightly disappointing, but fun nonetheless.

Went back a couple of months ago & the water was a couple of feet higher than my first visit! Now THAT was hair-raising - the actual weight of water against the vehicle front surprised me a lot! Had about 6 inches in the cab :lol: but was grinning like a loon for ages afterward.

Anytime anyone is up for a meet at Violets Lane, let me know.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, Will be after the 19th now as Uni exams are bearing down rapidly!!

also trying to finish one of my best mates defenders, so he could come as well!

But don't worry, will make a post on here as soon as i am free!!!

Grant