Dilemma! which mud terrains & what size?

reggie

I'm ready for a new set of mt tyres but can't decide which type or size to go for. I'd like to raise my diffs up off the floor a little more.

I currently have Greenway Machos in 235/85/16 on RRC but now one has a puncture & I think its past its reparable life.

I'm fitting a 2" body lift as well as the 2" suspension lift I already have so I've been thinking of going slightly bigger but there doesn't seem to be much out there within a reasonable budget. It seems unless you spent a fortune you are limited to the same size.

If I have to go for a 32" like I've already got, I've been considering the Insa Turbo special tracks but not to sure as I have to use the motorways a few times a week covering a couple of hundred miles. I'm not too fussed about the noise as these old RRCs aren't exactly quite & aerodynamic on the motorways.

Is there any difference in the height between a 265/75/16 & a 235/85/16 & are these slightly bigger than my current tyres as the Insa's are remolds?

Ideally I'd like a 33" tyre if I can get them for the right price.

With a 2" body lift you can run 35" tyres with the correct off set wheels, and as long as you have extended arches. Look here

I've already had a look, a little out of my price range I'm afraid. Also I've heard a lot about people snapping half shafts etc when fitting 35s

I looked at 34" Simex jungle trekker's as an option but at £156 + vat each I thought maybe not & again not sure if the standard drive train would take it.

A friend of mine also heard the same thing but wants 35s that much he went out & bought some portal axles just to be sure he won't have any problems.

Your friend is aiming low, if he's got portals he'll probably want to start about 37".

As for your choices, 33-34" is probably the limit for a stock Rover drivetrain.

BFG MT's are a very hard tyre to beat as an all-rounder.

I'm running Maxxis Creepy Crawlers which I'm well pleased with, seen quite a few people running them here and abroad now. They are more aggressive than they look in pictures, and the sidewalls make a real difference in ruts.

Your friend is aiming low, if he's got portals he'll probably want to start about 37".

As for your choices, 33-34" is probably the limit for a stock Rover drivetrain.

BFG MT's are a very hard tyre to beat as an all-rounder.

I'm running Maxxis Creepy Crawlers which I'm well pleased with, seen quite a few people running them here and abroad now. They are more aggressive than they look in pictures, and the sidewalls make a real difference in ruts.

He's already started talking about 37" now he's got the portals. I said to him the ways he going he'll have a monster truck soon :rolleyes:

How much are those Maxxis Creepy Crawlers & what size do they come in?

i have 33" bfg muds........... got over 50k road miles from the last ones.

also try ATS they are always the cheapest for them.

Just went onto the ATS website to get a price & it doesn't even list them.

Found some on Paddocks with modulars for £582 inc vat.

Any idea how much the tyres alone are?

when i got the 33" from ATS it was 4 for the price of 3....... worked £80 each........ for example craddocks wanted £120 each.

ATS used to own or be owned by a company linked to BFG and thats why they had them so cheap...... things may have changed now.

Yet another vote for 255/85 BFG MTs, might cost a bit more but superb, I leave them on for everything - P+P sites, greenlanes, motorways & they seem to cope with it all, plus see to be lasting remarkably well.

BUT - for the love of god, whatever you go for - make sure if they have white lettering, it faces inward!!! Its a Landy not a Jeep!!

Cheers, Paul

also herd good things about Goodyear MTR's, think the G4 trucks use them....

ran MTR's on my old daily drive 90 and rated them they went most places i asked but I'd say they were more like a Trac Edge than a BFG mud, and definitely less aggressive than a Macho type pattern

i have 33" bfg muds........... got over 50k road miles from the last ones.

problem with bfgs - and the fact they last so long and are so expensive - is that if you do alot of offroading, you will get frustrated once you have 25-30K miles under them,

cos the tread depth will be down to 5-6mm which will have a very noticable affect on available grip.

BUT, you cant just say "sod it, they`re past it" and chuck em away and buy new ones - cos they are a big investment and still have 20k road miles of life left in them.

With a set of £50 each Machos - when they get down to 8mm tread, you can literally throw them on ebay and not feel too bad about it!

problem with bfgs - and the fact they last so long and are so expensive - is that if you do alot of offroading, you will get frustrated once you have 25-30K miles under them,

cos the tread depth will be down to 5-6mm which will have a very noticable affect on available grip.

BUT, you cant just say "sod it, they`re past it" and chuck em away and buy new ones - cos they are a big investment and still have 20k road miles of life left in them.

With a set of £50 each Machos - when they get down to 8mm tread, you can literally throw them on ebay and not feel too bad about it!

You do have a point, you wouldn't want to take them off but then again you might be bored with them by that time & want to try out some diferent ones.

you might be bored with them by that time & want to try out some diferent ones.

get bored of them? what do you do talk to them? :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

my money would go on BFGs they work well, last well and have good 2nd hand resale prices.

granted if you want the bling effect of changing tyres to alter the stance of the truck etc then they will probably last too long!

when i got the 33" from ATS it was 4 for the price of 3....... worked £80 each........ for example craddocks wanted £120 each.

ATS used to own or be owned by a company linked to BFG and thats why they had them so cheap...... things may have changed now.

Michelin own ATS and also BFG, should get the best deals :lol: