Spotlight Question

kevinr

After following a post in here, I managed to get my front bullbar mounted spots working on their own switch.

Can I now pass this through to the main beam stick and have them come on with high beams, but still have them work independently on their on switch, if not, how can I wire them to come on with the main beams? and is there any legal issues with this?

If you wanted the spots to come on with the main beam, then you would have to tap into the wire that powers the main beam (the main power still coming from the battery/ starter motor terminal or wherever). I'm not sure about having a switch for the spots and them coming on with the main beam as well. If you jumped to the same relay from the high beam circuit, then the headlamps would come on regardless. Electrics are scary for me :(

Les.

What wattage are the bulbs?

I trust you are using a relay, or a suitably rated switch?

I would use an on-off-on switch and a relay, with one 'on' contact being supplied with a constant/ign switched 12v, and the other 'on' supplied with 12v from the high beam circuit. The output from the switch would then trigger the relay, which in itself should have a fused 12v supply and earth wired to the battery.

What wattage are the bulbs?

I trust you are using a relay, or a suitably rated switch?

I would use an on-off-on switch and a relay, with one 'on' contact being supplied with a constant/ign switched 12v, and the other 'on' supplied with 12v from the high beam circuit. The output from the switch would then trigger the relay, which in itself should have a fused 12v supply and earth wired to the battery.

The bulbs are 100watts, and they are connected via a switch and a relay, which is fused. But I would like to look at having them come on with the main beams aswell if at all possible.

You can either wire a switch as mentioned, or use a diode (1n4001 would do) to stop the foglight switch feeding 12v back to the main beam circuit.

so, I could connect a wire from the live circuit on the main beam stick, to the live (on wire) on the spotlight switch, with this diode soldered into the circuit between the two points?

so, I could connect a wire from the live circuit on the main beam stick, to the live (on wire) on the spotlight switch, with this diode soldered into the circuit between the two points?

Not sure about the Diode question. I always do a complete harness with my lamp installs (relay, fuse switches etc etc) and in order to have the lamps associated with the Main beam (high beam) circuit the #85 terminal off the relay would go to a main beam power wire. #86 goes to the switch and then to ground, #30 goes to main battery power via a fuse and #87 goes to the pair of lamps and ground the lamps however your particular brand suggests it. So with this method, when the switch is on, and you go to main beam the lamps will come on, and go off when dipped. They are still switchable independently (suggested) but the main convenience is that if an oncoming vehicle surprises you, when you dip the lights the drive lamps will go off as well without any fidgeting for a switch and dazzling that poor bloke coming toward you.

I can scan any number of my wiring examples if you like......I'm just up way past my bedtime at the moment.....

:-)

Not sure about the Diode question. I always do a complete harness with my lamp installs (relay, fuse switches etc etc) and in order to have the lamps associated with the Main beam (high beam) circuit the #85 terminal off the relay would go to a main beam power wire. #86 goes to the switch and then to ground, #30 goes to main battery power via a fuse and #87 goes to the pair of lamps and ground the lamps however your particular brand suggests it. So with this method, when the switch is on, and you go to main beam the lamps will come on, and go off when dipped. They are still switchable independently (suggested) but the main convenience is that if an oncoming vehicle surprises you, when you dip the lights the drive lamps will go off as well without any fidgeting for a switch and dazzling that poor bloke coming toward you.

I can scan any number of my wiring examples if you like......I'm just up way past my bedtime at the moment.....

:-)

Yes please mate, would be much obliged :)

Yes please mate, would be much obliged :)

I had three and as you can see all take a different approach. First the straight forward Bosch diagram and ignore my note stating 'park lights' on #5, that was for wiring fog lamps:

boschlightwiringdiagramcy4.jpg

Then the slightly more technically correct Cibie one:

cibielampwiringdiagramjo8.jpg

Then the quite simple Hella 'diagram':

hellalampwiringdiagramxc2.jpg

Hope one of them helps out.