TD5 flywheel inspection

JimAttrill

Given a TD5 flywheel out of the vehicle on the bench. How do we figure out if it is stuffed or not? When attacked with screwdrivers and pry bars etc, it seems to move further in one direction than in the other. This is the springs, of course. There is absolutely nothing in either the Defender or Disco workshop manuals covering this issue.

The reason it is out is that there was a definite engine vibration starting at 2500 rpm which could be felt through the clutch pedal. The vehicle is low milage, 80k kms. Clutch is worn to 8.45mm instead of 9.05mm new, so hardly worn.

I changed the flywheel etc in my 2001 Discovery Td5 recently . I asked the supplier about checking the dual mass and he told me that if the angle you could move it through was approx 30 degs or over the flywheel was on it's way out .

In my case I occasionally had vibration at about 50/55 mph - the UJ's and rubber doughnut came in for regular inspection but were always fine .

Then one morning when I started the engine there was noticeable vibration on tickover and you could feel it through the clutch . Switched off restarted - no vibration . Next 2 starts - vibration . I felt it had to be the dual mass - and it was .

I have seen them fail at quite low mileages on cars - disc and pressure plate would still have many thousands of miles left .

If you could feel the vibration through the clutch then it would definitely point to the dual mass . Hope this helps .

Talking of welding it up... I see in LRM that there are people selling TD5 solid flywheels. So do we then use a Tdi clutch driven plate with the springs in it?

Welding things certainly gets rid of play - I have TIG welded rear half shafts/drive members and they have no play at all :)

When I replaced my dualmass with another I couldn't get a solid flywheel anywhere around .

I know that for quite some time now the solid one has been available for VW cars for example - and those who had them fitted found no change ; why manufacturers can't leave well enough alone is beyond me .

I would certainly replace with a solid if I had the option as I have seen these dualmass flywheels fail at very low mileages - 30K in one case .

Don't know about the welding - would there be a possibility of vibration if the two plates went slightly out of alignment while welding ; and you wouldn't know until all is back together .

I am going to drill the rivets out and take it apart, curiosity mainly. Then we may weld it up and get it balanced. Will a Tdi driven plate fit?

ps It is stuffed, the new flywheel fixed the owner's vibration problem - until next time.

I am going to drill the rivets out and take it apart, curiosity mainly. Then we may weld it up and get it balanced. Will a Tdi driven plate fit?

ps It is stuffed, the new flywheel fixed the owner's vibration problem - until next time.

Looking forward to seeing the pics, Jim! :huh:

/tony