abs light quickie question

uazvet

have used search 'abs light' no clear result - so asking, since taking a dunk the abs light remains on. I have checked underbonnet fuse and in car fuse box, both OK. Though on a spare set of aftermarket pads there's a cable connector, but after poking my head under the arch to look inside at caliper cannot see where cable/connector is hooked up <_< Is it a simple fix? mainly because if the job involves anything more than droping a wheel off and cleaning a connector then I'll leave well alone because it's absolutely sweltering here 40+degs :P and i've got beer to drink!

Cheers All

Probably an ABS wheel speed sensor but you need a diagnostic computer to be sure.

cheers for reply bogmonster - sounds like its gonna involve effort, so i guess i will live with it :rolleyes: btw the abs works fine despite the warning light - so no big deal i suppose.

cheers for reply bogmonster - sounds like its gonna involve effort, so i guess i will live with it :rolleyes: btw the abs works fine despite the warning light - so no big deal i suppose.

I thought a non functioning ABS light was an MOT fail but perhaps not, worth checking though :unsure:

It is an MOT fail in the UK but might not be in the rest of the world.

The ABS light should operate as per the handbook, which is usually either the light comes on for x number of seconds then goes off, or the light comes on and stays on till you get to x miles per hour.

To get round the x number of seconds a 555 timer circuit and a red LED can be used at a cost of a couple of quid - but that would be a little dishonest

Hi There, I also had an ABS light come up on another car... My wife took it in to be diagnosed. Reply:- " Yes missus, solenoid valve and 2 wheel cylinders. That will be £1700, shal I book you in for Thursday?".

Her reply " For that price I can get a 555 timer and LED to fix it in a gold plated box!"

On returning home, I pulled off the ABS control unit. There are 4 sleeved connections along with many others. As there are 4 wheel sensors, I checked these with a Digital volt meter. (£4.99 from Maplins). They tested 1300 ohms except for the duff one, which was open circuit. Pulling off the connectors from the wheel sensors and applying a short on the tags proved the wiring. A single new sensor fixed it. The bad news it for a Korean Vauhall they are £100 each. Since then I have had to replace the other front sensor. I blame this failure on the road humps down the lane to school.

It is possible that water has infected a wheel sensor connector. A short or High resistance from corrosion will also bring on the light. First check for this, it's the cheap option and may well fix it.

Good luck.

I have the same problem now and again, if I go through a deep puddle the next time I start the car the light will stay on, and if you switch off and restart it resets itself it must be the speed sensor, are they optical or magnetic on Disco's.

I have the same problem now and again, if I go through a deep puddle the next time I start the car the light will stay on, and if you switch off and restart it resets itself it must be the speed sensor, are they optical or magnetic on Disco's.

Sensing is via a 60 tooth exciter ring and an inductive sensor.