Dim/dip lights - help please!

Sorry to broach this subject again, but I am pulling my hair out due to lack of/incorrect information.

My dim/dip facility has packed up! Headlights and sidelights still work fine. I have a N-reg 96 MY Defender TA chassis No.

The Haynes manual says there is a voltage transformer/control unit behind the dash, so today out came the dash.....no control unit!

Can't find anything in the LR workshop manual relating to the dim/dip feature. Have tried looking for anything that is controlled by the sidelight operation and goes onto the headlights, but the cables just disappear down the main loom.

Can anyone shed any light :lol: on this problem. I need to know where the voltage drop device is. Please help only a few strands of hair left!!!!!!

look on the right inner wing outboard of the brake servo you should find a resistor attached to the vertical panel, might need a torch & IIRC the relay is behind the fusebox.

so long as all the lights except dimdip work, you don't need dimdip as the regulations have been repealed.

The dim/dip relay is part number YWC10050L.

IIRC it's a pink relay behind the clocks on the right hand side. I'm sure I took a photo last time I had the dash to bits - I'll see if I can hunt it out.

Colin

www.REEDX.net/landrover

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

It appears that there are a few different methods LR used for the dim-dip circuit. Mine apparently doesn't use a relay, but diverts the live light feed through a large 1 ohm resistor onto the dipped headlight feed when the sidelight position is selected. The reason I couldn't find the resistor is that it was tucked away between the inner and outer wing on the drivers side. I had to remove the blank wing top vent panel to get to the fixing which was an M6 nut, bend my arm around between the inner and outer wing and wthdraw the unit. Thanks to Ralph for pointing me in the right direction :D .

The fault was obvious, one of the wires had become detached from the end of the resistor. This is non repairable because of fused ceramic end plugs, but a new LR part No. XBL10003 is about £20.

I am going to attempt to post a couple of pics to show the item in question as it may be of use in the future.

The view through the wingtop shows a couple of holes toward the back of the inner wing and behind this is where the unit was hidden.

post-9808-1218923130_thumb.jpg

post-9808-1218923148.jpg

It appears that there are a few different methods LR used for the dim-dip circuit. Mine apparently doesn't use a relay, but diverts the live light feed through a large 1 ohm resistor onto the dipped headlight feed when the sidelight position is selected. The reason I couldn't find the resistor is that it was tucked away between the inner and outer wing on the drivers side. I had to remove the blank wing top vent panel to get to the fixing which was an M6 nut, bend my arm around between the inner and outer wing and wthdraw the unit. Thanks to Ralph for pointing me in the right direction :D .

The fault was obvious, one of the wires had become detached from the end of the resistor. This is non repairable because of fused ceramic end plugs, but a new LR part No. XBL10003 is about £20.

I am going to attempt to post a couple of pics to show the item in question as it may be of use in the future.

The view through the wingtop shows a couple of holes toward the back of the inner wing and behind this is where the unit was hidden.

I fitted high wattage bulbs and mine stopped working. Did not replace it, has not failed MOT for this yet. If I go back to the correct wattage bulbs I may re-instate the relay.

Guest diesel_jim

Did you buy one? i'm sure i've got a brand new one in the garage, i'll have a look.

you'rs for a tenner delivered???

Did you buy one? i'm sure i've got a brand new one in the garage, i'll have a look.

you'rs for a tenner delivered???

Jim, I'm sorry I didn't get to read this sooner but I haven't been able to log on for a couple of days due to work commitments. I would have bitten your hand off for that offer, but I placed an order with local main stealer thinking that £17 + vat was a bargain.

Thanks for taking the trouble to help out. :D

I think I have the same problem as beekay.

Have looked everywhere, just can't find the pink dim/dip relay.

110 TD5 MY2002 is the vehicle.

You won't have a relay - 2002 model year vehicles didn't have dip-dip fitted. The legislation came in in 1987, and has since been rescinded.

Found this on Wikipedia (saves me re-writing it...!)

Dim-Dip Lamps (UK Only)

UK regulations briefly required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip device[16] or special running lamps, except such vehicles as comply fully with ECE Regulation 48 regarding installation of lighting equipment. A dim-dip device operates the low beam headlamps (called "dipped beam" in the UK) at between 10% and 20% of normal low-beam intensity. The running lamps permitted as an alternative to dim-dip were required to emit at least 200 candelas straight ahead, and no more than 800 candelas in any direction. In practise, most vehicles were equipped with the dim-dip option rather than the running lamps.

The dim-dip systems were not intended for daytime use as DRLs. Rather, they operated if the engine was running and the driver switched on the parking lamps (called "sidelights" in the UK). Dim-dip was intended to provide a nighttime "town beam" with intensity between that of parking lamps (commonly used by British drivers in city traffic after dark) and dipped/low beams, because the former were considered insufficiently intense to provide improved conspicuity in conditions requiring it, while the latter were considered too glaring for safe use in built-up areas. The UK was the only country to use such dim-dip systems.[17]

In 1988, the European Commission successfully prosecuted the UK government in the European Court of Justice, arguing that the UK requirement for dim-dip was illegal under EC directives prohibiting member states from enacting vehicle lighting requirements not contained in pan-European EC directives. As a result, the UK requirement for dim-dip was quashed. Nevertheless, dim-dip was (and is) still permitted, and while such systems are not presently as common as they once were, dim-dip functionality was fitted on many new cars well into the 1990s

Hope this helps

Matt

Guest diesel_jim
You won't have a relay - 2002 model year vehicles didn't have dip-dip fitted. The legislation came in in 1987, and has since been rescinded.

Found this on Wikipedia (saves me re-writing it...!)

Dim-Dip Lamps (UK Only)

UK regulations briefly required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip device[16] or special running lamps, except such vehicles as comply fully with ECE Regulation 48 regarding installation of lighting equipment. A dim-dip device operates the low beam headlamps (called "dipped beam" in the UK) at between 10% and 20% of normal low-beam intensity. The running lamps permitted as an alternative to dim-dip were required to emit at least 200 candelas straight ahead, and no more than 800 candelas in any direction. In practise, most vehicles were equipped with the dim-dip option rather than the running lamps.

The dim-dip systems were not intended for daytime use as DRLs. Rather, they operated if the engine was running and the driver switched on the parking lamps (called "sidelights" in the UK). Dim-dip was intended to provide a nighttime "town beam" with intensity between that of parking lamps (commonly used by British drivers in city traffic after dark) and dipped/low beams, because the former were considered insufficiently intense to provide improved conspicuity in conditions requiring it, while the latter were considered too glaring for safe use in built-up areas. The UK was the only country to use such dim-dip systems.[17]

In 1988, the European Commission successfully prosecuted the UK government in the European Court of Justice, arguing that the UK requirement for dim-dip was illegal under EC directives prohibiting member states from enacting vehicle lighting requirements not contained in pan-European EC directives. As a result, the UK requirement for dim-dip was quashed. Nevertheless, dim-dip was (and is) still permitted, and while such systems are not presently as common as they once were, dim-dip functionality was fitted on many new cars well into the 1990s

Hope this helps

Matt

Just to add to the confusion.. my 110 (which has a 2004 Td5 bulkhead) does have the dim/dip fitted.

maybe they had a load left over! LOL!