Buying advice 1998 Disco V8 - what sort of fuel consumption???

NikolaiV

Hi people I have a couple of questions, which the search function didnt manage to answer...

I`ve currently got a 1978 2-door RR on LPG, but with two kids now its too much of a hassle getting them in and out of car-seats through the the narrow openings. I`m looking at picking up a series 1 discovery, say a 1998 5dr ES. What sort of fuel consumption (No landies have fuel economy...) can I expect, and would it be possible to fit the LPG system of a carb-fed RR onto the EFI Disco? I`m in NZ, so petrol is still relatively cheap, and TDi`s are like hens teeth. I`be be paying about NZD$5k for a 1998 Disco ES with around 130kms on the clock - anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

Hi people I have a couple of questions, which the search function didnt manage to answer...

I`ve currently got a 1978 2-door RR on LPG, but with two kids now its too much of a hassle getting them in and out of car-seats through the the narrow openings. I`m looking at picking up a series 1 discovery, say a 1998 5dr ES. What sort of fuel consumption (No landies have fuel economy...) can I expect, and would it be possible to fit the LPG system of a carb-fed RR onto the EFI Disco? I`m in NZ, so petrol is still relatively cheap, and TDi`s are like hens teeth. I`be be paying about NZD$5k for a 1998 Disco ES with around 130kms on the clock - anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

I think you can get approx 300 miles to the tank (93 litres) on one of those, at least, that's around what I get on my 1997 3.9 V8i

I don't know how to answer your question on the LPG conversion, but I have head good things about a conversion called megasquirt, first and foremost it seems to be a water proofing system for the electrics, but it has the added bonus of giving the V8 some good fuel economy.

Hi my Discovery when it was standard (3.9V8 1998) did about 16-17ish MPG on average normal daily driving if I drove carefully.

On LPG it did about 14ish but it is an old singlepoint system.

With roofrack light bar and 2" lift with 235/85/16 fitted its more like 12MPG

It has 145,000 on it at the moment so is probably getting in need of tlc.