Now I Know Why Ships Have Two Anchors

BogMonster

....because when you really need one you find that just one is not enough!!

I finally had to try my "twin anchor" idea this afternoon - having only been saying the other day that carrying both of them was a guarantee that I'd always get out using one :ph34r:

A slight delay due to this

longdon1.jpg

became a longer delay due to this

longdonkitty.jpg

pulled the KittyGripper out .... twice :angry:

OK bite the bullet, out with the mil anchor tube, walk over to an "apparently firm bit of ground", back for pins, walk over, back for pins, walk over, back for pins, walk over, back with sledgehammer, bang bang bang bang bang bang bang F&&& bang bang bang bang gasp wheeze stagger back to vehicle nearly falling in the by now 18" deep hole right under the drivers door, would it hold?

longdontube.jpg

would it hell ... twice again!

At this point to add insult to injury a bunch of walkers that had chosen the same bit of countryside to explore for the afternoon came ambling by and stopped to watch. Last thing you need when things aren't going according to plan is an audience ... apart from anything else it inhibits the free flow of Anglo-Saxon which is essential to any unsuccessful recovery :ph34r:

Anyway after a bit of thought about how best to rig up both of them together I did this

longdonboth.jpg

and it moved .... just

Half an hour and far too much effort carting big lumps of metal around - you lot with trees to winch off don't appreciate what an easy life you have :P:lol:

Nigel I have another project for you - design a self-cleaning KittyGripper! By 'eck that thing is a filthy contraption to try and fold up when it's still got half a peat bog attached to the spade.... :huh:

Nigel I have another project for you - design a self-cleaning KittyGripper! By 'eck that thing is a filthy contraption to try and fold up when it's still got half a peat bog attached to the spade....

a good coating of teflon -- as used on non stick frying pans, should solve that problem.

you lot with trees to winch off don't appreciate what an easy life you have 

been doing some recovery training today, loads of trees wrap strops round lol :lol::lol::P:P

great pics as usual from you :D:D

Edited by western

That'll be what we in the marine industry refer to as piggy backing. Not usually done on cargo vessels but common practice with oil drilling rigs.

What the problem with the Kitty Gripper (love that name) as with all anchors is that they are always a compromise with respect to ground conditions.

When you have softer conditions like there you need a larger fluke angle (angle between the blades and the bar) to make the flukes dive deeper into the gunge. Again most offshore anchors for fixed moorings have adjustements either bolted or welded to allow some scope for varying conditions.

I have had this idea in the back of my mind for ground anchors for some time but first I have to get the project on the road. The Teflon coating sounds like a good idea, can't see it affecting the holding power when static, when it starts slipping it might be another story.

What we need to do is to get Dougal in here to advise us on the practicality and efficiency of maybe coating the ground anchors with K l e e n t e c t . I'm sure that the superior finish afforded by K l e e n t e c t would ensure that the anchor would stay rust free, and assist in it's operation. :rolleyes:

Les. :)

A nice Husky on the back would have seen you out in no time  :lol:

I thought much the same thing Tony but unfortunately there is a fuel tank in the way :P

Having to go right through whatever you just got stuck in would not be a problem with the MM except for the small issue of needing to find something strong/heavy enough to attach the hook to... :(

I'm off to get a Government grant to start a tree-planting programme :lol::lol::lol:

Joking aside the coating that cannot be named would probably be quite good for this application :unsure: