starting problems

jackitpotato

my discovery is having starting difficulties, I have replaced the started motor which solved the sluggish turn over speed when it reached compression.

Now it turns over for approx 2 seconds then it starts clicking at me, and the lights on the dash flicker on and off.

Any ideas?

Cheers

or less likely a knackered or dead battery - does it jump start ok?

I presume it started doing this immeadiatley after you changed the starter motor? If so Les will be right that you haven't tightened a connection properly somewhere

well I have checked the earth connections, cleaned them up and checked the connections on the starter, but still no go

And now we have a new symptom, it beeped when it started clicking?

Any ideas greatly accepted.

I have got a spider bypass plug on it's way just incase that's the problem.

Cheers

well I have just tried it again with a freshly charged battery, and I get a half revolution, a squeeky noise while it rotates and then almost machinegun fire as I guess the solenoid clicks on an off? Ohh and I also get the alarm beep at me when it's doing the clicking? Like I mentioned I have the spider bypass on it's way, which could help as I know the spider is a cause of lots of problems,but I can't think what the squeek is? This is the first time the squeek has been present!

Cheers

A booster pack does nothing on the Discoveries, you need a proper jump from another vehicle which has the engine running.

Have you replaced the starter with a new or recon starter motor? Is it definatley the correct type? Could be a faulty one? I'd try a proper jump start first though

What make is the starter motor? I fitted a Prestolite item to a 90 and it didn't even last a week, the second one worked for about a month. You occasionally get re-con starters that are faulty, but you need to be sure that everything else is fine - battery and all connections. If possible - borrow a known good battery and see if you still have the same problem.

Les.

The battery itself is a 6 month old 550 amp model, the starter is a brand new item from paddock spares which i think (of the top of my head) is a prestolite. i can understand the battery could be broke, would it be more likely that the starter was a duff starter, if so what options do i have for checking that?

cheers

Have you not got access to another vehicle to jump start the Landy off? That will quickly prove if it is the battery.

But to be honest Prestolite have lots of bad reviews (mainly from Les! - who's advice I would trust) and seeing as the problem started when you fitted the starter, my finger would be pointing at the starter itself.

When I was looking at changing my starter I found out the Bosch unit which was fitted was supposed to be way better than any cheap replacement. The cheapest replacement I could find was about £60 a full recondition of my Bosch was going to be £80 but the recon Bosch would be loads better and would last longer. I went for the recon in the end and luckily it didn't need much doing and only cost £20.

So if your old one is still around it might be worth sending the new one back (if it is duff) and getting the original one (presuming it's a decent make one) reconditioned.

i havent got acces to another vehicle to jump start it unfortunately hence the charging and retrying after checking stuff. I have checked my invoice and its a new prestolite starter, so as you guys say its possible its broke already, although, what are the chances of it being broke before it even works?? is their a way that i could check the starters operation though to be sure its at fault?

You can test a starter motor on the deck with just a set of jump leads and a short length of wire. Attach the earth from the battery to the allot mounting flange of the starter, then the live jump lead from the battery to the pillar on the starter solenoid that the thick wires are normally connected to (copper M8 thread). Put your foot on the starter and then with the thin wire - jump from either end of the live jump lead to the small spade connector on the starter solenoid that the exciter wire is usually connected to. If the starter is in good condition, there will be an easily audible click as the bendix is thrown forwards/contact is made, and it'll burst into life - with quite a kick to it.

Les.

As Les and others have said Prestolite are cr&p. I fitted 3 to my Discovery and they all broke within a month or so. Finally coughed up and purchased a Bosch one. Never had a problem since. Shame yours is a 300 Tdi as I have a reconditioned V8 one at home, it's not prestolite either, I think it's Magneti Marrreli.

HTH

Ivan

my discovery is having starting difficulties, I have replaced the started motor which solved the sluggish turn over speed when it reached compression.

Now it turns over for approx 2 seconds then it starts clicking at me, and the lights on the dash flicker on and off.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi, I had an identical problem on my Disco 300 TDi. The first thing I did was clean up the 2 earth leads I had. One was on the starter itself and the other between body and chassis, but this did nothing to ease the issue. I then purchased a new earth lead and placed it between the battery and the engine. I bolted it to the top of the timing belt casing.

The car has never started as good as it does now. First turn of the engine and she fires up without fail. It has never given me any grief since. Just a shame it took 2 years for me to get round to fixing it. I just thought they were all like that LOL

I bet this fixes your problem and is only a couple of quid to solve it

Regards

Dave

well i got my spider bypass and replaced that, on the off chance it was cutting the connection, and it still wont go. Although after looking at the spider circuit board it has started to crack, so at least thats not wasted money.

i must point out that the symptoms have changed slightly, although i havent been able to jump start it (no second car) so i cant try that, now im noticing that the engine seems to squeek a little more as it turns it over, and it now takes less than a second for the clicking to kick in.

im getting annoyed with the lack of transport so i am considering sending it to a garage. The closest to me is Nene Overland is that a good place?