starting problems

jackitpotato

im getting annoyed with the lack of transport so i am considering sending it to a garage. The closest to me is Nene Overland is that a good place?

I'd ask what you expect them to do that hasn't already been suggested here? If you need a jump start to prove it, perhaps a friendly forumer could pop over and give a hand? Failing that, a year's AA/RAC membership could be money well spent for a bit of diagnosis, and I'm kinda guessing it would be followed shortly by either the purchase of a new battery or a Bosch starter, or both. :P

I think FridgeFreezer has got a good point there with getting a recovery service with home start help, it's probably your cheapest way, and they can at least try and jump start it.

Why not put the old starter back on and go back to sluggish starting - at least it'll start then? Starter Motor change only takes half an hour tops.

i may have added to confusion here, the problem initially was the starter turned quickly till the engine was on compression, then it turned very slowly, but not quick enough to start the damn thing. I dont think the thing clicked at me or anything, but its been a week of frustration.

the thing is the problem came on quickly, it was a refusal to start for the first 2 attempts in the morning but then was fine till about 3 that day, then it refused to start first time but fine second. the next day no start in the morning, but started second time in the afternoon, then nothing?

i can understand it being electrical, as that was my first thought, but then why would it be making a squeeky tight sound when i attempt to crank it, which is why im considering a garage, (as well as the fact it needs some welding for its mot, 2 birds with 1 stone..)

i will however recharge the battery, see if i can get another car to try a jump start, and change the starter back but then i'd be back to square one?

cheers

why would it be making a squeeky tight sound when i attempt to crank it

Possibly because the starter is, as already indicated, likely to be a great big steaming pile of SH^7% so the bearings or the bush in the nose of the starter might be making the noise?

What make was the old starter? Was it black?

I was suggesting the idea of putting the old one back in, because I thought from your description you were immobile.

But it does sound like you could just have a dying battery which was the cause of the problem before and is causing this problem? Or the Starter is Duff.

I can't see it being anything else.

Surely you must have a neighbour or relative that you can ask to give you a jump start? If it spins over easily I'd be looking at a new battery (although it still could be a carp starter). If it still has the same problem I would be putting the old starter back in and sending that one back for a refund, whilst you put the old starter back on make sure you clean all earth leads and mounting points up, you might find that cures it.

• 2 weeks later...