Problems starting my landrover 90 6.2 v8

rhine9

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me a hand here, I have a land rover 90 fitted with a 6.2 v8 gmc engine. It had been running no problems for over a year, then one day it would not start on its own, only when I gave it a spray with easy start.

Once it is warm it will start all day long, but as soon as it gets cold again it will not start

I have changed all the plugs and checked the injector pump and it does pump fuel through but I'm not sure how much it should use.

I have also had the starter overhauled.

I have taken it to a few garages and nobody seems to know anything about these engines and end up just giving it back to me as they do not know what is wrong.

A friend says it can not be the injector pump as if that was not working properly then the land rover could not run at all, he says it could well be low on compression and to get that tested?

If you guys think this is true do you know what psi i should be looking for in every cylinder?

Any help would be great as I'm stuck here.

Thanks

....I'm guessing diesel...and the std check list is heater plugs, heater plug pulse timer, fuel filter, fuel lift pump. they do need to spin fairly quick to start so I'd check the battery to engine earth cable is up to scratch too . The fact that it starts fine once warm suggests heater plug issues. Its also worth checking that the starter has a brace bracket to stop it twisting and chewing the ring gear up.

Cheers

Steveb

I'm new here so treading carefuly, I will say this, asuming it is a diesel and therefore it's the heater plugs you've replaced. have you also cheaked the wireing? cos the plugs are only as good as the wires that feed em. if not try testing them with an inteligent probe. that way you can put posi and neg through the system. just a thought. hope it helps.

Guest otchie1

I doubt that it's a 6.2l V8 diesel that needs easy start to start but I know very little about GMC engines.

Does it start easy enough from cold if it's being jumped? Might just be a dying battery.....

Isnt easy start reknown as Heroin for engines??

Yeah they can get addited to it (even more so diesel engines) and then you can't start them with out it. Was talking to a bloke about the stuff "Start you person I'm not that keen on" ( Easy start in Aus) only yeasterday at the park and how engines get addited to it

But have heard that the GMC engines can be diffficult to start when cold and need alot of battery cranking power, So have you checked this

Id debate that engines do not get addicted to easystart. Easystart causes a huge shock to the engine and when it runs on it, there is no lubricating effect of the diesel running through it. The knocking is evidence to this. In terms of addiction, wear is increased and can do damage that way. Thats my opinion anyway and people sometimes disagree. I would never let any near my engines anyway.

GMC v8s need good glows to start and being big capacity they need lots of cranking power. I would check them first and stop using easystart.........

H

Diesels do not get addicted to Easy Start, but they continue to need it unless the original reason for it not starting is fixed!

I agree, I used easy start to start my 220 Cummins diesel engine without any detremental effects. On the plus side it saved buying starter motors.

As long as the engine is spinning over and only a little is used then it's OK

My engine used to start instantly on a little easy start and had done close on 200,000 miles when I sold it.

The reason it was used was to save the battery and the starter as big old diesels were bad starters. :) also Cummins would provide a pump to pump in easy start if the buyer requested it.

In the seventies, the Ford transit with the York engine also had a pump on the dash to pump in easy start .

I think it is a fault with the glow plugs (never use easy start and glow plugs together BTW)

I agree, I used easy start to start my 220 Cummins diesel engine without any detremental effects. On the plus side it saved buying starter motors.

As long as the engine is spinning over and only a little is used then it's OK

My engine used to start instantly on a little easy start and had done close on 200,000 miles when I sold it.

The reason it was used was to save the battery and the starter as big old diesels were bad starters. :) also Cummins would provide a pump to pump in easy start if the buyer requested it.

In the seventies, the Ford transit with the York engine also had a pump on the dash to pump in easy start .

I think it is a fault with the glow plugs (never use easy start and glow plugs together BTW)

Ah sounds like the old 12.2 NTK 220 cummins, Atki / ERF ect ? what ever the problem they had with that they solved it with the 14 ltr and the 290 big cam 10ltr which are bulit proof. I don't know much about CMC engines, But I dout they do an easy start aplicator kit for the intake manifold. Here is the question (put to me by an old diesel fitter). "How the f**K can a lump of iron become addicted to somthing?" He was of the opinion that dodgy batterys, bad wiring, knackerd heater plugs, carp compretion and poorly set up timing could cause poor starting. and unless these problems where solved then you would continue to need to give it a wiff of the yellow can first thing in the morning PERIOD! He may be right? You never here owners of Gardner 6LXB's or 200Tdi's needing a wiff of over Easy even on the coldest winter morn.

Realisticly though, a blowtorch blowing over the intake does make a big difference when trying to start old engines. Thats what I use when starting a friends old ford 4000 tractor.

H

reminds me of a prog i watched on the discovery channel ages ago where they were on about some old 2 stroke diesel tractor,

it had a small bowl and hand pump thingymajig built into the intake manifold, starting procedure was to pump the handle a few times and set fire to the thing - let is burn for 30 seconds and then try cranking it. The flames warmed the manifold and the cranking sucked the flames into the intake.

Has the original poster bothered to check these answers? <_<<_<

Nope..... From their profile "Last Seen: 16th August 2008 - 06:14 PM "

Original post date 16th August 2008 - 05:43 PM

Maybe you all should have answered quicker.. They were online for nearly half an hour awaiting your answers... :)

Actually they did not use easy start but Butane lighter fuel which is a totally different animal. It was fitted on the A series with the six pot york as well. Been there, seen it, used it, on many occasions.