Series head lights.(upgrade)

S2A109RAG

You really dont need a relay unless your fitting high wattage light bulbs.

I swapped the sealed beams in the mini over to h4 halogen conversion with normal 55w bulbs and the existing wiring copes very well, light switch dosn't get hot no problems for 6 years. It is a popular conversion on minis and no relays are needed.

I did try 100w bulbs for a couple of months; but the switch got quite hot and melted internally; in this instance you would need one.

Has any one a suggestion on an upgrade to the old sealed beams in a series Land Rover?

Im thinking a relay would be part of the salution???

Definitely a fan of relays!

Saves your switches as they dont have to carry so much current. Cables are shorter improving situation, can be individually fused. Wiring to steering switch can be so much smaller/neater. A relay can take 1000s of operations, cost a few pound. I am sure your steering switch would cost about 10 times that!

Would recommend this route. With a bit of time and effort you will be rewarded with great lights. Doesnt have to cost alot.

All modern vehicles use relays so you could possibly get them for pence from a scrappy. Maybe some thick cables robbed from a car could also be utilised.

I run the crystal headlights from wipac. Another improvement.

Few tips; Get yourself a quality crimper, forget cheapy versions. Also a nice multimeter would be a bonus.

There are two versions of relays. Pin layout is different. A relay base makes it all neat and tidy.

Check out Vehicle Wiring products website.

Hope this helps!

You really dont need a relay unless your fitting high wattage light bulbs.

I swapped the sealed beams in the mini over to h4 halogen conversion with normal 55w bulbs and the existing wiring copes very well, light switch dosn't get hot no problems for 6 years. It is a popular conversion on minis and no relays are needed.

I did try 100w bulbs for a couple of months; but the switch got quite hot and melted internally; in this instance you would need one.

My wiring started to melt without relays

• 1 month later...

I first installed some Hella H4 halogen inserts in place of the standard glowworm cannisters to my Series 2A and it made quite a difference.

Once I read and understood the effect on voltage drop on bulb output (.5 of a volt drop = a MAJOR drop in output, as bulbs reach their stated output not at 12 V but at about 13.8 to 14 Volts when your alternator is running) Trust me if you measure the voltage at the lights you'll see that the relay installation is well worth it.

I then did the relay conversion last year and the difference is remarkable. The lights are MUCH brighter and more effective.

It really helped. Light is bright and strong, now if only the adjusters weren't shot I could aim them somewhere useful!

Go for it, if you need lights you won't regret it.

Kirby

Did the Halogen conversion myself on the L/W, would have been rude not to :lol:

Improved the lights no end, will be rewiring her again when I yake her off the road for the full conversion treatment so i'll try your suggestions using relays, can't hurt and the opportunity to individually fuse sounds a safer option if problems occur later,