Slightly OT: Ifor williams vs Indespension

landybear

Hi all,

Am in the market for a new trailer to carrying building materials to and from jobs etc. I am looking at the ifor williams lm105 and indespensions equivilent. Both flatbeds. I know the differences between the two but not having owned either i would like your opinions on what is the better option.

Also could anyone shed light on the carrying capacity of loose material (mostly sand and aggregate) in the trailer. (not in dumpy back but loose)

Many thanks in advance

Hi all,

Am in the market for a new trailer to carrying building materials to and from jobs etc. I am looking at the ifor williams lm105 and indespensions equivilent. Both flatbeds. I know the differences between the two but not having owned either i would like your opinions on what is the better option.

Also could anyone shed light on the carrying capacity of loose material (mostly sand and aggregate) in the trailer. (not in dumpy back but loose)

Many thanks in advance

I have the Ifor Williams LT 125 (12ftx5ft x 1500kg gross think it's LT - LM I think has larger carrying capacity?) tows a dream, better than Indespension, galvanised, rugged, do-as-you-likies are always nicking them so they must be good!

Usually carry pallets which are strapped down, have carried building materials and the side panels are better suited to carrying bulk materials than strapped pallets. The side panels push-down on the straps so if you tighten the strap you cannot close the side panel, does my head-in at times :(

Having lived with my trailer for 2? 3? years the Ifor gets my vote. :lol:

Ifor Williams all the way we bought our first Ifor 14 ft, 15 years ago and its still going strong, we have had a few indespensions but I was never a fan of the axle set up on the indespensions.

Thanks for replies yeah i have thought about Brian James but havent really looked into them. The LM is the one i am after whichn is 2700kgs gross. I am looking for 1500kgs to 2000kgs loose material is this realistic because i know it takes alot of room up - and the sides are only 1 foot (i think)

Thanks for replies yeah i have thought about Brian James but havent really looked into them. The LM is the one i am after whichn is 2700kgs gross. I am looking for 1500kgs to 2000kgs loose material is this realistic because i know it takes alot of room up - and the sides are only 1 foot (i think)

personally i would go for the ifor williams having towed one for about a year with a 1.5t mini digger only prob had was a tyre burst used an indispension for a while not as strong build and did appear to flex more but having said that the ad2000 is a sturdy trailer check out indespension for some good shand deals at the moment chris

personally i really dislike indispension units, something to do with wood chippers losing whole suspension arms and wheels 5 minutes off the motorway :(

ifor williams are great... but...

thought about atlas?

Bloke I know's got one, very well built, cost a fraction of an ifor and not quite such a thief magnet maybe?

IIRC 3.5tonne gross, tips, options of high sides, ramps, all sorts, makes it a very versatile trailer

http://www.atlastrailers.co.uk/index.asp

Thanks for more replies - Atlas looks a good trailer - not too worried about its tipping due to the fact of the cost involved in buying the things. The trailer has garage space so it would be locked away no probs. My gut feeling is Ifor but i need to know the capacity really - i suppose someone will come along in a minute and tell me!

Personaly I would always go for 3500kg, that way you know that you can carry anything landy related if you need to. I would also say that you can get 3 ton on in 1 ton bags or probably over 2 ton of grano or sand in something like a 14footer.

I have an Ifor and i am generally happy with it but i have read that the Brian James is a bit longer lasting in the brake department. I have never owned one though so it is only hearsay. I can say mine is heavy on the brake wear but it is normally fully loaded and while infrequent most journeys are about 500miles round trip.

Sides on my LT125 are 380mm from floor to top of sides and mine is 2000kgs gross about 1500kg payload not 1500kg gross as above! Doh!

Most Ifor Williams trailers I have seen all have the same side height whether LM or LT series and any size.

One problem with the tippers is increased instability. The height (you get 2 chassis effectively) and extra weight put the CofG higher causing combination to be more unstable? However, I have never towed a tipper so maybe someone who has, might have actual experience?

Ballast has a weight of 1.3 to 1.8 tonne/cu metre, the volume of your LM105 is 3.01*1.68*0.38 = 1.9 cu metres and max gross is 2700kg minus the trailer approx = 2100kg nett carrying capacity.

Therefore at 1.3tonne / cu metre = 2470kg and at 1.8tonne / cu metre = 3.420kg both overloading the trailer.

With the max weight for the trailer you will not overfill the sides with ballast (I guess Ifor has already worked that one out), if you want to carry heavier loads go up to the LM6 series trailers at 3500kg gross.

I've been using a flat bed 12 x 6 Ifor with a 3.5 tonne payload for the past four years. It's used for general building work as well as various vehicle transport. I bought it second hand and I've been really pleased with it. It's been so much better to tow tha comparable Brian James and Indespension trailers. The only trouble I've had with it was a brake seizure after a particularly long period of it not being used.

I've been using a flat bed 12 x 6 Ifor with a 3.5 tonne payload for the past four years. It's used for general building work as well as various vehicle transport. I bought it second hand and I've been really pleased with it. It's been so much better to tow tha comparable Brian James and Indespension trailers. The only trouble I've had with it was a brake seizure after a particularly long period of it not being used.

Quite common , If your leaving it parked up for a while its best to chock the wheels and leave the park brake off .

Ifor Williams trailers get my vote over Indespension ,they are a stronger built trailer and more reliable .

But they do rattle around alot when they are unladen , But I guess thats the joy of cart springs over the axles :lol:

BTW thats another thing you need to keep an eye on , The Spring bushes on the IW dont last too long when always laden .

i've used both ifor williams and indespensions, fully loaded the ifor williams handles better but when empty i've had indespensions up to 80mph with no wobble. but now i've got a land rover again speed isn't a problem so i'd go for a ifor williams as i have seen indespension trailers with the axles that have been bent from overloading them.

Try bateson's of marple, Bateson is a family firm who make trailers to your spec and have excelant after sales sevice I bought my 16 ft X 6ft6" plant trailer from them brand new in 1996 and its still going strong and unlike Ifor's they don't bend under the strain of a bit of graft. nor (sorry series drivers) do they ride on shaged out old cart springs! like toyota hilux's which crack when you put a mini digger on there back. like my mates ifor did last year. twas only a 3 tonner too! Ifor Williams do make exceadingly good stock canopys however!

Ifor Williams all the way. brother has got 3 of them, one tipper, two plant, and i regularly tow one to south wales with hay/straw on it and they are a dream to tow with, never snakes (even with 110 bales on it :) ). spares are plentiful too.

Brian James are a clone of the Ifor's, but IMHO not as well built (they look the same, but it's like the good old fashioned coke/pepsi debate :) )

One thing to watch though, if you get a flat tyre on an Ifor, buy a new wheel and tyre as there is only about £5 difference (something like £70 for the tyre, and £75 for a wheel with tyre fitted ??)

nor (sorry series drivers) do they ride on shaged out old cart springs! like toyota hilux's which crack when you put a mini digger on there back. like my mates ifor did last year. twas only a 3 tonner too!

That is a bit of an unfair comment, considering putting a 3ton digger on a 3.5ton gross trailer would be overloading it anyway, as generally they weigh between 600-900kg empty for a 3.5ton model. Why do you think trucks use leaf springs? To carry the weight, if you ask me leafs are much more stable on a trailer, especially when fully loaded.

Ifor all the way, that's all people seem to use round here and my friend has one of their tippers. It's lasted years, very rugged, considering it's used daily in the building trade.

That is a bit of an unfair comment, considering putting a 3ton digger on a 3.5ton gross trailer would be overloading it anyway, as generally they weigh between 600-900kg empty for a 3.5ton model. Why do you think trucks use leaf springs? To carry the weight, if you ask me leafs are much more stable on a trailer, especially when fully loaded.

Ifor all the way, that's all people seem to use round here and my friend has one of their tippers. It's lasted years, very rugged, considering it's used daily in the building trade.

Ifor all the way, All my working life I have used both alongside each other Ifor wins hands down the running gear is fantastic easy to service and maintain the trailers are incredibly stable if loaded correctly. One of the guys I worked with onec had a leaf snap on him fully loaded on his way home one night on the M1 while overtaking an Artic, he said even on 3 springs it was stable enough to take stock and move over to hard shoulder with out panic, if that had been an Indi he would have lost the wheel, and undoubtedly caused a pileup.

Parts backup and dealer network is generally good with an Ifor to.

A Note to bear in mind NO Ifor has a PAYLOAD of 3500kg!! Thats the GROSS weight of the trailer and load the UK legal maximum for over run brakes. you need to deduct the trailer weight unladen from the gross to give payload,

I had a Ifor 14ft plant trailer for my racer's and it was very very good and happy with it the track is also good as it's small enough not to sit in lorry ruts on the motorways.(my current trailer suffers from this)

remember the my ifor weight in at 1100kg empty which was too much for my camper to legally tow with a 1400kg car on it totaling 2500kg and all I could legally tow was 2000kg so I changed to a lighter car trailer which is very good but not as practical at the ifor was.

not so much of a problem behind a Land Rover but one worth remembering if moving aggregate or pallets of OPC,bricks or blocks meaning a 3.5t trailer can only carry two palettes meaning you have wasted space.

Good good. Space is a little problem at home so 10 x 5.5ft is about max but at a push i might go 8 x 5 apart from the single dropsides not split which i am not overly keen on it gets akward in tight spaces because you always have to be 8ft clear not just 5

Before ordering a Ivor trailer give J C Grifiths of Talgarth mid/south ish Wales a ring I honestly belive their price will be sufficiently cheaper for you to justify the traveling.

their no.01874 71137

My trailer came from them and two of my frinds have since bought 4 trailers from them.

• 4 weeks later...

Landybear, did you get one? if so what did you ger and what sort of price did you pay?

I am looking for somethings like a Ifor 126LM and have been watching ebay for a while, a lot on there look as though they have been very well used and not knowing too much about trailers I am starting to think a new one might be the best bet.