Slightly OT: Ifor williams vs Indespension

landybear

Hi all,

Am in the market for a new trailer to carrying building materials to and from jobs etc. I am looking at the ifor williams lm105 and indespensions equivilent. Both flatbeds. I know the differences between the two but not having owned either i would like your opinions on what is the better option.

Also could anyone shed light on the carrying capacity of loose material (mostly sand and aggregate) in the trailer. (not in dumpy back but loose)

Many thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

IMHO Graham Edwards are the best. I have a little Graham Edwards 8 x 4 trailer and the build quality is excellent. OEM tyres were 165 x 13 but I've upgraded to 175 x 13 8 ply and it really is a very handy trailer that can be towed through streets where cars are double-parked. The previous owner, a builder, used to carry a mini digger on it with the brakes not even connected up but eventually the police caught up with him and his 3.5 tonne licence; whoops! My first trip with it empty (in UK law an empty trailer that one has just bought is not being "used") was to the Graham Edwards factory where it was put right and declared to be a good trailer. No point going looking for a bunch of "Green Shield" stamps is there?

My biggest trailer is an antique 3.5 tonner with Avonride running gear and Michelin 6.00 R9 XTA tyres which need 116 psi (getting that pressure is a real pain as it is way beyond the capability of supermarket airlines). It has leaf springs. Unfortunately the manufacturers were not very good at predicting the future. After all who would have expected roads to get WORSE in the future? I am of course referring to speed humps which throw the bulk of the weight onto one axle at a time.

Nowadays IMHO the makers of twin axle trailers that use leaf springs ought to consider fitting military type rocking beam compensators to enable the axles to share the load as with the antique trailer the axles each get hit with almost double the weight.

Another vote for Atlas.

I have the 3500kg tipper. Unladen weight is 900kg

It is a direct copy of the Ifor ( I even checked the steel thickness, but obviously not the kwaity before anyone says anything!).

Tows very well, though a bit clattery when unladen. Running gear is british, and wheels and tyres are different sizes to the Ifor ones.

I believe the Ifor ones are a lot more expensive, but could be wrong.

HTH

I haven't looked into their tipper trailers (we have small livestock ones) but I would very highly recommend CLH: http://clhtrailers.co.uk/. They're based in South West Wales but the quality of their trailers is outstanding compared to all other ones I have seen. I've used them to manufacture various bits of metalwork for me and various projects and their hand done work rivals most machined work.

We looked at Ifor Williams and a few others before going on a whim to these guys on the word of a friend of a friend and drove away with a trailer straight away. Trailer was 2/3rds of the price of a comparable Ifor but in my opinion 3 or 4 times the quality. The small trailers (haven't tried their larger ones) tow superbly well on the road and off-road.

BTW - if they don't have what you want they'll custom build you a trailer for an outstanding price from what I hear. Whilst I was there picking up some bolts for my Series and discussing some metalwork with Chris the owner a chap came in with a speedboat on a mates trailer and it was being measured up to have a new one fabricated, approximately 2 week of build time later he had a fully galvanised custom trailer for the boat.

[edit]a shooting friend has a small tipping trailer for a quad that he overloads reasonably regularly and keeps bending the hinge pin on it, took it back to them and asked for a replacement (willing to pay) and Chris turned round made up a new one free of charge, thanked him for pointing out the flaw in the trailer and supplies him with free replacements. Since then they've beefed up the hinge-pin, he may have been overloading the trailer but they're the kind of company who take pride in their work and dealt with it as such.[/edit]