Disco 300tdi diff seal

russ1

My grandad has a 300tdi disco and it needs the diff seal changing.

I have done these on my 90 in the past but looking under the disco i see it has a rubber doughnut in place of the normal uj so i cant just remove the prop. am guessing i will have to replace the doughnut as well as the seal or is there a way to remove it and be able to refit it?

Because i have been told if i remove the bolts that go through the doughnut, it will expand to the point where its almost impossible to refit it.

Any advice would be great

Simply not true mate, or at least is wasn't when i removed and refitted mine. It my be a bit sloppy but you can stick em back on.

Dont worry about it, drop the prop off the doughnut, the doughnut of the diff flange then crack off the big flange nut and roberts your fathers brother.

Stu.

Mmmm, it's not quite that simple...... once you've got the prop and the donut off, you'll find that there is a lump of ironmongery stopping you getting to the nut.... this is not easy to remove, i've just done away with the donut type prop on my 300, and fitted a regular uj one.... i ended up grinding most of the flange away, simply to access the nut.... good job i didn't want to re-use the flange, cos it was on the floor in dust form..!!!

Mmmm, it's not quite that simple...... once you've got the prop and the donut off, you'll find that there is a lump of ironmongery stopping you getting to the nut.... this is not easy to remove, i've just done away with the donut type prop on my 300, and fitted a regular uj one.... i ended up grinding most of the flange away, simply to access the nut.... good job i didn't want to re-use the flange, cos it was on the floor in dust form..!!!

To get the spigot out of the middle in a non destructive way, have a read of this thread from the tech archive.

Pete.