Howlin' Wolf Round 5

najw

First off, results here...

HERE

Now, apologies to Joe & Tim Philpott for heralding as 3rd place in class 3 when, in reality, Joe had already declared the addition of a 2nd winch put him in class 2.

So, the real 3rd place trophy winners in Class 3 were Bruce Gould (all the way from the IoW) and event sponsor Derrick Johnson from LRS Off Road. Apologies guys I have already made arrangements for your trophies to be re-united with you.

Congrats to Chris 'we wanna be like you' Abel and Simon 'if it wasn't for me' Wilkinson - Rob & Jamie who have finally tamed the Mitsimog - Cover star's Nick & JST (Team Goodwinch X-Eng) for shakin things up at the top.

Finally, for now, really pleased with the way the event ran. The weather did us a huge favour which we have to be thankful for and the site lived up to its reputation, as always.

Let the hilarity begin...

We had a good weekend keeping an eye on you lot!!!

Apologies for the lack of a Burger Van , the one we managed to find at the last minute cancelled at

7.30am Sunday 'because it was raining'. :rolleyes::angry: So sorry if it left you with nothing to eat.

I'll post a few photos later....

Thanks Neil and team, I didn't think we were going to have much fun when we had a walk round on Saturday night, I can't remember a site with more punches in water!! :rolleyes: Despite waking up at 5am to torrential rain we had a great day with some great action on the rocks and an amazing amount we got away with in the water. :huh:

Thanks to Sue and Kevin for helping us out at the end, and the others who came to our rescue, sorry I didn't get who you were. :i-m_so_happy:

This kind of result just wouldn't happen for me if it wasn't for James (JST), my co-driver. His running and, on this occasion, swimming are invaluable. Getting to, surviving and getting home from are much aided by Chris (GBMUD), catering, Graham (RocKeR), logistics and of course Simon (SimonR), sponsor and all round good egg.

Of course I put my new found success down to an array of quality products from X-eng and Goodwinch. :P

Don't see why you have to put so many in such deep water, as the site is so big and so much was not used :angry:

Adrian, You do know Neil the fish don't you?

This is the reason I will not enter an event run by Neil till he realises there is more to events than deep water. Yes punch in water is easy setting out, makes for a good photo and with a disclaimer along the lines of ' if you think a punch is beyond your or your vehicles ability........' avoids responsibility for bu$$ered engines, gearboxes, axles etc.

One has posted already of water in the sump, I hope he turned the engine off immediately!

Obviously these are only my personal views and as everyone else enjoys the water so much Neil (the fish) is only giving you what you want. bitchslap.gif

I sat for a long time stuck in water up to the doortops whilst we rigged the ground anchor and eventually got it to dig enough to pull up on and presumed it filled the sump via the dipstick tube, which was taped but not properly sealed (thats another job now)

Noticed it really when we got out and the tickover pressure was down to 5 psi instead of normally around 25ish on tickover hot (4.2 V8 with Megasquirt) soon as saw the gauge (mechanical) stuck it straight on the trailer.

I'm more worried about my wet ar*e then the sump at the moment, a good flush and new oil should sort the engine out but I'm not so sure it's that easy for me.

Great event, very hard punches, or was it me?

It's not and excuse, it's a reason. :D

Great event again for us again, many thanks to the marchals and AWDC organisers.

We managed to rip the Panhard rod bracket clean off the chassis which cost us 30 mins other than that all went smoothly for us. Got my work cut out this week to get the truck ready for Tay :unsure: MOT booked for wednesday afternoon.

I want to Drive like Garry Andrews one day :lol:

i actually quite liked the site, and despite the water ones (RV being a V8, no snorkel or anything special to waterproof it - ie nothing) which we gave a wide birth to there was certainly enough to keep us going for the day.

Some good sections on the rocks - and more of that would be great, plus some of the ones by water that could be got to with a little bit of route selection. mind you as mentioned there were alot of deep water ones which we didnt even give a second look to.

The SS's we (or I ) found quite daunting as with mud runs its not worth the risk trashing the vehicle just to get the time on an SS then not be able to compete to the end of the day due to water issues. We therefore picked the non water one and then the timed section which looked the less of the two evils compared to the trial style SS

Overall there were some good punches out there although nothing really technical ie we didnt have both winches out at the same time for any of them and didn't double line any either despite that i think the event was a great laugh, we certainly had fun and i know for next year that i need to practice my swimming.

Good pictures Simon, you didn't get my best side though...............

208503307dc256d20e2728a22fc1dfe3653dac97f442e1ee456a78785202950146a311d6.jpg

i know i dont spend too much time in the truck Nick - but you know its true what the others have been saying - you've changed!

As the one who did the recce for this event with Glaggs, I feel I need to reply to this.

When we went 3 weeks ago to have a look, the water level was 3 feet lower than it was on Saturday, plus we are always trying to do something different, it’s no good if the punches are the same every year. Kirton being quarried again helped us in the top corner and gave a few new areas to play with, most of which didn’t involve water. And some we were going to use had disappeared altogether.

The NCGL crew set out the punches on Saturday and then Neil & his team checked them all – including a few in the water which he asked us to change because they were too deep/inaccessible.

Once again overnight we had torrential rain and the whole site changed. This has happened at every event so far this year – remember Slab Common, punches we had set out very easily on the Saturday were practically impossible to collect in because of the rain and the change in the water levels.

And also once again the punches we set out to be difficult proved to be easier than we thought and the easy ones weren’t.

There is also the way the punches change throughout the day, some get easier others harder.

Each site that is used is different and that’s how it should be and believe you me setting out is not easy and punches don’t always pan out the way you’d intended.

I’m not out to start an argument on here and you’re entitled to your own opinion, but I don’t agree with it.

Thanks for being so open Badgers & Glaggs, I wasn't going to be the one to write "It wasn't me guv, I didn't do it". As Clerk of the Course I have ultimate responsibility and I did what I could in the circumstances to ensure a safe event.

Whenever you plan an event you look at what each individual site has to offer and then capitalise on it, with Kirton it's water, mud and rock. By my reckoning only 14 of the 40 punches were what I would consider to be water so thats roughly a third in a 3 way split.

As RogueVogue and JST proved in a V8 with no snorkel or waterproofing you didn't need to play in the water to be competitive.

To be honest It would be better if more of the thread was spent naming and shaming the little sh*ts who insist on cheating by driving over the rope to get the punches even despite the clear guidance on the rules and the threat of disqualification. That is what is spoiling this series, not a few wet punches.

The CyberKeys have done away with one angle on cheating, perhaps CCTV is needed next...

...Once again overnight we had torrential rain and the whole site changed. This has happened at every event so far this year – remember Slab Common, punches we had set out very easily on the Saturday were practically impossible to collect in because of the rain and the change in the water levels.

And also once again the punches we set out to be difficult proved to be easier than we thought and the easy ones weren’t.

There is also the way the punches change throughout the day, some get easier others harder.

Each site that is used is different and that’s how it should be and believe you me setting out is not easy and punches don’t always pan out the way you’d intended.

I’m not out to start an argument on here and you’re entitled to your own opinion, but I don’t agree with it.

my view: weather is an added degree of challenge, and agreed, that on some sites the water level can be "frowned" upon as it can change competetive element to more of who is prepared to get very wet, and or risk vehicle damage. it is not something that any marshal or organiser can change. this then must be taken on board by all involved and if necesary changes to vehicle to comply with any such condition. either way, i believe that all the organisors and marshalls set out yet another fantastic event so a very big thank you to all those who put it together.

Finaly can I just say that a lot of the teams this weekend made the punches look so easy that we thought we'd gone soft on you.

You might find that a lot of the "immovable" barriers were simply not immovable and were either removed or driven over. We saw tyre marks on quite a few punches where they were well out of the roped area. It ruined my day and made me think "whats the point".

The marshalls genuinely do a great job setting out in their own time with no reward, some of the punches were very technical and challenging if done without cheating. We did all of ours within the rules and got a 100 point penalty for pulling a post out with the winch rope even though no advantage was gained. Others are blatantly cheating and getting away with it.

We saw several marshalls gathered around an intersting punch watching competitors go through when other punches in the vicinity were not observed. No one can make the marshalls marshall, its a thankless job and I hate to criticise as we couldnt do the comps without them. However, to me (and a few other competitors I have spoken to), it is frustrating to find evidence of cheating without a marshall in sight whilst there are groups of five or six dotted about basically spectating.

I sincerely hope I dont put marshalls off with these comments because they are vital to the event but something has to be done about rule breaking. I know of a few competitors who will simply pack up and do something else in the challenge scene if it continues. :(

Sorry posted this in other thread and moved it to here.

Alan

my view: weather is an added degree of challenge, and agreed, that on some sites the water level can be "frowned" upon as it can change competetive element to more of who is prepared to get very wet, and or risk vehicle damage. it is not something that any marshal or organiser can change. this then must be taken on board by all involved and if necesary changes to vehicle to comply with any such condition. either way, i believe that all the organisors and marshalls set out yet another fantastic event so a very big thank you to all those who put it together.

Totally agree with all of that

Overall there were some good punches out there although nothing really technical ie we didnt have both winches out at the same time for any of them

We did, on at least six punches, we used two winches at the same time, in order to stay in the ropes you had to do. As Niel has said in the past, punches change as the day progresses and more cars go through but we did two or three well used punches that were well worn and used two winches simultaniously.

I am sure the marshalls will confirm, that was their intention when they set it all up.

Prety well summed up, It don't bother me at all geting very wet and muddy as most poeple know but if the driver dont want to go swimming then its no fun,

Carl.

we had a fun day, broke my only working winch on the first punch but such is life! the water punches didnt bother me too much, looked at some and left them cause i thought they were too deep for my car, but not unreasonably deep for other peoples cars. the tightness of alot of the sections i found anoying but ive got a fat long car so i would! as for running over the rope, i didnt seee anyone do it intentionaly, i made a right hash of getting out of a section after getting a punch and took out a section of rope, we put it back up and told the scrutiner guys to knock us one off when we handed in the cyberkey.