Changing glow-plugs 200tdi

ThreeSheds

I'm not too experienced with diesels and tomorrow I have to change two glow-plugs on my 200tdi Disco. I tested them tonight with an ohmmeter and two had 0.8ohms and two were open circuit (luckily both bad ones are easily accessible).

I just wondered if there is anything to look out for? (apart from dropping the washers - already done that ;)

The small nut that retains the wire may shear off, but you should have new nuts with the new glow plugs. If not - they are M4 x 7-or-8mm. The plugs themselves can sometimes jam in their threads and there's a possibility that they could shear off - requiring removal of the cylinder head to get the remains out. To minimise the risk of this happening - run the engine up to temperature first.

Les.

The small nut that retains the wire may shear off, but you should have new nuts with the new glow plugs. If not - they are M4 x 7-or-8mm. The plugs themselves can sometimes jam in their threads and there's a possibility that they could shear off - requiring removal of the cylinder head to get the remains out. To minimise the risk of this happening - run the engine up to temperature first.

Les.

Thanks fo that Les, by 'eck - am I glad I asked - the manual says don't do it while hot which is why I was planning to do it tomorrow and not tonight... Trouble is I don't know if I can endure the embarrassment of starting it tomorrow with all the smoke... :o

The nuts are 7mm...

Cheers

Roger

Try it with the engine cold - you'll be able to tell if they are going to be stubborn. Some come undone dead easy and others are a right swine. For some odd reason - some people seem to think they have to be done up dead tight.

Les.

23NM according to the book of lies - which is more than I expected from looking at them TBH..

Rog

And if possible use genuine OEM Beru glows as they last much longer. Don't use County ones under any circumstances as they are made out of steel which corrodes easily and they shear off when you try to remove them. BTDT. Anyway, if TD5s can get by with 4 glows, my Tdi is reasonably happy with 3.

Thanks for the advice chaps :)

The job went well, although I was sweating a bit when removing them after warnings of them breaking off...

Can't be sure (I threw away the boxes) but I think that they were Champion ones - looked like stainless anyway.

I think that glow-plug longevity is not going to be a worry, judging by the way it is smoking worse every day I don't think it will be long for this world... :(