A frame ball joint

fender1234

trying to remove the ball joint off my axle and when i turn the nut the joint just turns so it wont undo and there nothing to grip,

You've normally got 2 options:

1 - try to get some form of mole grips, stilsons or similar between the axle and the a-frame to grip it, or -

2 - jack the a-frame down from the chassis to jam the taper into the axle (this normally works if you've used plenty of WD40 on the nut or similar.

You need to make sure that the thread is clean or else once the nut hits the dirty/rusty thread the ball joint will just spin.....just like TRE :)

PlasticBadger method number 2 works but you also need to use a rachet strap (a ferkin big one :) ) around axle and tow ball to stop you simply jacking the suspension up!!

Ok i'll try cleaning up the threads cant try plasticbadger idea no.2 becasue the axle isnt on a vehicle

Doh! I'd cut apart the ball joint cup to get at the inner and then hold that with a fecking big pair of stilsons.

The only other way is if you have a sazall or cengar type saw that will cut the nut off...

4 1/2" grinder with a worn down grinding disc will allow you to slit the nut then you can attack it with a hammer/chisel/big screwdriver/swearwords/molegrips/fire thus enableing its removal.

Will.