TRANSFER BOX

PEASEY

While under my discovery the other day poking and proding for the mot on thursday i noticed a multi plug cable tied out of the way onto my hand brake cable does any one know what this is?The reason im asking is that my diff lock light isnt working and i wondered if someone has removed the plug from it.my only worry was that feeling around up there i couldnt find anything to plug it on to.From memory there is a small cable towards the front(engine end of the t box)that looks like it could be the diff lock switch but im unsure could someone confirm this?Is there an easy way to check why its not working?When i first got the car the high/low lever was seized solid but after some pulling pushing soaking in oil greasing swearing followed by more pushing and pulling its now free not perfect but if you shove it smartly it moves into high/low,do they move freely like changing gear on the main gear stick on a unseized one?and my last question is it normal to have a small whine coming from the t box?I can change the tone of it by holding the high/low gear stick if that helps and its more noticeable when cold,i have changrd the oil with ep90 and its still there.If the radio is on low you cant hear it.The model of my discovery is 300 tdi 1994 auto non edc.

While under my discovery the other day poking and proding for the mot on thursday i noticed a multi plug cable tied out of the way onto my hand brake cable does any one know what this is?The reason im asking is that my diff lock light isnt working and i wondered if someone has removed the plug from it.my only worry was that feeling around up there i couldnt find anything to plug it on to.From memory there is a small cable towards the front(engine end of the t box)that looks like it could be the diff lock switch but im unsure could someone confirm this?Is there an easy way to check why its not working?When i first got the car the high/low lever was seized solid but after some pulling pushing soaking in oil greasing swearing followed by more pushing and pulling its now free not perfect but if you shove it smartly it moves into high/low,do they move freely like changing gear on the main gear stick on a unseized one?and my last question is it normal to have a small whine coming from the t box?I can change the tone of it by holding the high/low gear stick if that helps and its more noticeable when cold,i have changrd the oil with ep90 and its still there.If the radio is on low you cant hear it.The model of my discovery is 300 tdi 1994 auto non edc.

Manual shows a switch and solenoid on top of the transfer box but says that access is only possible from the top - that is you have to remove the centre console and drill out the rivets holding the cover in place to get down to the box .

Will try to look up the colours of the wires so you can check if they are from the switch or solenoid .

The Speed Transducer is located around there & that is a 2 core cable with a plug.

The Transducer sits between the box & the parking brake drum & is a bugger to get at.

Your speedo wouldn't work if it was hanging loose though.

Right lads the mystery deepens today i pulled out the interia and set about finding my diff lock light problem,the switch had wound itself out and wasnt making contact with the internals when low high was selected anyway the other plug is connected between the hand brake and the back of the t box for the speedo but this other plug has just been cable tied to the hand brake cable appears to do nothing i have voltage there when diff lock is selected but as my light is now working perfectly i have just left well alone but thanks for the replies

well thats confusing,every wire i have down there is black but all have different plugs to match up to the t box but the spare plug has no terminal to plug onto?someone told me that the plug could be for and beeping alarm when diff lock is selected for different countries has anyone ever come across this?this would explain the voltage there when diff lock is selected.

I never thought about that,but as you say that sort of blows that idea out the water as i only have voltage when high low and diff lock is selected,i guess we are just going to have to put it down to another one of those land rover mysterys