Synthetic ropes

JST

Just wondering really, we have had the same ropes for the whole HW series so far with no trouble where as some seem to get through ropes at an alarming rate - what should you expect from them under comp conditions? (cant say ours have been looked after particularly well either with all the stone on the sites!)

Just wondering really, we have had the same ropes for the whole HW series so far with no trouble where as some seem to get through ropes at an alarming rate - what should you expect from them under comp conditions? (cant say ours have been looked after particularly well either with all the stone on the sites!)

I think now of a plasma as a service item, when its done a fair bit of work and starts to look frayed and grotty I think of replacing it, and maybe keeping the old as an extension. IMHO once it has broken it seems to have been overloaded and then continues to break, best change it before this happens

Without doubt usage and keeping an eye on where the rope is makes a huge difference - for me where I winch people out I have to pay special attention to the rope and where it is ie off the ground, Simon Rs X Zag is good for this esp plasma, when self recovery its much easier as I control the rope tension and can see the rope and I am moving to the fixed point not the other way around

When its really horribly and messy I just unspool, shove into a bucket of plain warm water and rinse through, pressure washers are a no no as it can drive the shrapnel into the rope core

Its not so much JUST time and usage but care time and usage

HTH

Nige