PTFE additive for transfer box

Thys

My Discovery's tranfer box has a high pitched whine at speeds 80km/h and up, no grinding noises (yet), oil levels fine and no metal in oil.

Was advised that PTFE additive (50ml) may lessen the whine. Has any one tried this before,or have knowladge of PTFE additives?

I was told that to open the trasnsfer box and have it "repaired", will not guarantee the whine going away. :unsure:

G'day Sockmeister.

I used an Oil collector plate thingy from Steve Parker, but his new web site isn't showing it now. ?????Visit My Website

It fitted in behind the PTO flange & collected the oil & aimed it at the spline.

If he is not making them anymore, it's not too hard to make. Either that or fit a crossdrilled gear.

Why not E-mail him & ask?

Thys, phone Cliff Barker on 011 845 4602 he often has second hand ones for sale that he gets from the UK. If you have to have your box fixed the only guy to use is Sean Riley of the Gearbox Company (ex autobox Pta) in Midrand on 082 784 5595. Or you can buy the bits and do it yourself as transfer boxes are easy, not like R380s.

If the whining is very weak in intensity when the TB is cold and the noise increases gradually after 10-20 km then you can use a thicker oil.

This is case with my TB, I bought the vehicle with this whining. When the TB is hot (..ish) it whines between 70 and 110 km/h after which magically disappears altogether. The reason of the noise in my TB is an increased play between the intermediate gears and the final gears (it whines in LOW as well). Haven't investigate the 'cause of this increased play and I won't bother too soon (possibly the bearings).

What I use in my transfer box is Castrol SAF-X 75W-140, which decreased the noise by about 60% when the TB is hot. A quick search showed that you may find it in SA under the name of SAF-XJ at about R100/liter.

Try this link. http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

or http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

The point is that ptfe added to the oil will not turn your gearbox into a non-stick saucepan or a spacecraft nose cone. At best it does nothing at all and at worst it blocks oilways and filters.

All additives should have a health warning on the label "DANGER contains SNAKE OIL and can seriously damage your wallet"

If you read the second URL above, you will find it contains a lot of positive comments about oil additives various. There is one negative comment. On a second look you may note the following:

All the positive comments are from private owners who did not do any sort of scientific test.

The negative comment is from a fleet owner who had the oil scientifically tested and kept good records of such things as fuel consumption.

Without wishing to pretend to be a trick cyclist, I would reckon that any private owner who pays money for an additive will want to prove, at least to himself, that he hasn't been taken in by false advertising and wasted his money.

Thanks for the link Jim.

The standard answer to any after market oil/fuel/coolant additive; if it is such a wonder additive, why does the manufacturers not include it in their product?

So! it's best left on the shelf then. ;)

I've been a mechanic for some 37 years and I've never been in favour of 'oil additives' but I am a BIG believer in changing the oil more often than the manufactures recomendation.