TD5 Fuel Leak

Wilf

hi guys,

My 2000 TD5 Disco has developed a fuel leak. Looks like it's at the back of the engine block somewhere. It's been dripping for about six months now (just a few spots each time you stop). The whole bay is covered in diesel smelling oil!

My indie has looked at it this afternoon and doesn't really fancy it as he's a self confessed Tdi expert and still getting up to speed on Td5's!!

Is there a common problem here, and if so how easy it is to fix?

cheers

Wilf

hi guys,

My 2000 TD5 Disco has developed a fuel leak. Looks like it's at the back of the engine block somewhere. It's been dripping for about six months now (just a few spots each time you stop). The whole bay is covered in diesel smelling oil!

My indie has looked at it this afternoon and doesn't really fancy it as he's a self confessed Tdi expert and still getting up to speed on Td5's!!

Is there a common problem here, and if so how easy it is to fix?

cheers

Wilf

Wilf,

Sounds very similar to the problem I had a while back on my 2000 TD5. From the location of the leak, it will most probably be the fuel pressure regulator valve leaking or if your lucky, maybe just a fuel hose. If it turns out to the fuel regulator, a new assembly (plug in regulator valve not sold separately from housing & hoses) will probably set you back about £85.00 and takes a bit of replacing. If you haven't worked on the TD5 engine before, it will probably take you a good 6 hrs to do the job, unless you can manage to get your arms down behind the engine to reach the unit without too much stripping down. When I did the job, I did it the hard way and had to remove the exhaust manifold, fuel cooler, etc. and even then, I found it quite tricky.

Hope you find out its something cheaper and simpler !

had this done on my 2000 td5 manual earlier this year.

chap who did it said it was much easier to get to by just removing the gearbox crossmember from underneath and then you have a clear and unfettered view/access to the regulator.

Obviously you need to support the gearbox...........