cranky sprocket

Hello all.

I have finally had the chance to look at the crank shaft sprocket that would not fit with the cambelt! To refresh you I did a cambelt change and due to the fact that it had a crank shaft OEM sprocket I wanted to renew this at the same time but could not get the cambelt to fit on the crankshaft sprocket it would not sit in the grooves it was slightly out!!!! :angry:

Here are some pictures:

post-3299-1219317975_thumb.jpg

post-3299-1219318009_thumb.jpg

The sprocket has 24 teeth, and is 226mm circumference.

Can any who has a crankshaft sprocket please measure theirs so I can find out what is going on?

I spoke to the company whom I got the cambelt kit & crankshaft sprocket from and they say they have had no problems with them before, but as I live on the other side of the World this is hard to verify!

Cheers ted

By the looks of it, it seems you have the sprocket supplied by Britpart. Edit: yeap, you bought it from LRDirect so it's a Britpart piece of junk.

I have one of these "wonder" sprockets handy, measured the diameter over the teeth (24) and it has 71.3 mm (which translates to a theoretical circumference of about 224 mm).

The problem is that the the geometry of the teeth is far from what is supposed to be so the teeth on the belt can't protrude and seat correctly in the grooves on the sprocket.

And that's not the only bad thing about Britpart sprockets. I explained more here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry248139 (see also the link within the link).

By the looks of it, it seems you have the sprocket supplied by Britpart. Edit: yeap, you bought it from LRDirect so it's a Britpart piece of junk.

I have one of these "wonder" sprockets handy, measured the diameter over the teeth (24) and it has 71.3 mm (which translates to a theoretical circumference of about 224 mm).

The problem is that the the geometry of the teeth is far from what is supposed to be so the teeth on the belt can't protrude and seat correctly in the grooves on the sprocket.

And that's not the only bad thing about Britpart sprockets. I explained more here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry248139 (see also the link within the link).

I knew I had read on here that someone else had problems with these sprockets!

I have been in touch with LRdirect and am assured that they have sold hundreds of these and had no problems!!!!!!

cipx2, what sort of response did you get when you complained to LRdirect? I have little time to be chasing bad companys around ! It really annoys me because I enquired before buying the sprocket and even phoned the guy up and he asured me that the components of the order where all quality :angry:

Well you live and learn!

PS if I send you my sprocket will you find someones window to throw it through.

no point sending it back it would cost more than the refund doesn't that erk you?

Cheers ted

They acknowledged the issue, the problem being more obvious than in your case, but I was in the same situation as you are, not being from UK the shipping cost is more than the refund. Since they owned me another 20 pounds (from wrong/incomplete parts sent on the same shipment), after 2 weeks, 3 e-mails with no reply and 4 phone calls they sent me the genuine version (at a UK address - otherwise they'd have wanted another 20 pounds and I could have it shipped to me for a fiver).

Like it's been already said on this forum, if it's an important part (it moves, seals, related to safety, hard to get at, affects other components or the vehicle gets immobilized if it breaks) better get the genuine or the OE version.