Bloomin Paint

mwy1964

Over the last couple of days I have been refurbishing pedals, servo and brake and clutch brackets ready for refitting to my Land Rover once I have completed the removal and refitting of the pedal boxes.

As you are probably aware the weather has not been fantastic, with the odd shower or so, and seems to be having an effect on my newly sprayed items - Paint bloom.. :(

Now my garage is made of timber and 100% water proof and feels far from damp, in fact the wife keeps her tack in there with no adverse effects (May be a bit of overspray now) and yet I have had this problem. The interim solution has been to put the bits I need spraying in the low oven of the Rayburn for ten minutes and then rushing out to the garage to spray.

Given that I have, at some point, to spray panels etc I could be challenged fitting them in the oven so need an alternative.

So what do you guys do, that have sprayed there own Land Rovers, to overcome this problem. Or have I just been unlucky with the paint I am using. I intend to spray the car using cellulose and was thinking of buying an Infra red heater to put in the roof above where i will be spraying.

Advice very welcome as I have a whole car to spray in the next few months and do not really want to wait until next summer, if we have one...

Thanks in advance

Mark

The problem is probably that if your garage doesn't have heating and insulation them it will sit close to ambeint temperature and humidity. The fact that is 'dry' i.e. doen't leak doesn't mean that it won't be 80% + humidity and 15 degrees in there on a rainy day. Not very good conditions for a shiney paint job!!!

What you need to do is either wait for a nice period of dry, warm, settled weather (yeah right). Or buy yourself an oil radiator and a dehumidifier and warm up and dry out the work shop and then go for it. It will be worth the cost to get a good finish.

The problem is probably that if your garage doesn't have heating and insulation them it will sit close to ambeint temperature and humidity. The fact that is 'dry' i.e. doen't leak doesn't mean that it won't be 80% + humidity and 15 degrees in there on a rainy day. Not very good conditions for a shiney paint job!!!

What you need to do is either wait for a nice period of dry, warm, settled weather (yeah right). Or buy yourself an oil radiator and a dehumidifier and warm up and dry out the work shop and then go for it. It will be worth the cost to get a good finish.

Thanks for the response... Looks like I have to spend a bit more while she what must be obeyed is not looking...

I have put a budget of £1000 to restore the car to its former glory, which she is now starting to include tool and ancillary costs on top, I'll just have to go for covert purchasing....

Mark

You should be able to get an oil radiator for less than £30 and a de-humidifier for a bit more. Go second hand if you're on a budget.

Cheers PB, not so much 'on a budget' as 'controlled spending' - Wife..

May be theres a spin that her Tack will benefit...

Many thanks

Mark

qualified painter help to help ya.....to cure blooming with celly which may i had i last used 20 years ago then use a slower drying thinner..hey do sell an anti bloom thinner but most people use 222 but i would use 804 thinner....buy good stuff nd not cheap carp as its just glorified gun wash...remember you can also t cut it back as its only the top coat thats bloomed...heaters are fine but just use to warm the place up before spraying

By the way an infra-red heater does not heat the 'air' that is moisture laden but it will heat up the surface of anything in its path. Taking a warm dry item from the oven out into ambient high humidity air will exacerbate the problem!

Same as heating up a panel using an infra-red heater may well make the paint dry quicker once its applied but again the paint picks up the moisture in the air as soon as it leaves the nozzle and likely carries it within the paint molecules.

I suggest warming the part, spraying in the garage and immediatley take the part back into the house.