200 tdi rebuild

stevegibbs

Now that i am happy with using lpg to get a very good power increase as and when i want i am thinking of rebuilding an old 200tdi engine i have not for more power but strength and quality, can anyone help me with info on quality parts such as cam, pistons, head job etc. Which would improve mpg? I have no need to over rev or increase turbo pressure. I think a better clutch would also be a good idea.

Steve

When I rebuilt my 300TDi engine I used only genuine parts. Genuine stuff from the likes of Bearmach/Paddocks are cheaper than getting them from a dealer. If you are buying a new head, then get a ported one from Turner engineering. Get the injectors and pump checked/calibrated too.

If you are going to completely strip the engine, then don't cut any corners - check every single item and clean it thoroughly.

You can use a good quality make of standard clutch, a 130 item, or a paddle clutch. Also an alloy thrust bearing instead of the plastic-bodied one.

Les.

But the plastic-bodied one which is common to lots of LRs doesn't give any problems AFAIK. This is rather like fitting a alloy gear knob with the disadvantage that you can't see it :(

Honestly, Les, I am surprised to see these alloy release bearings on sale, for I would have voted the clutch release bearing possibly the best-designed bit of a Land Rover. Not like the Tdi clutch fork, for example.

The ones we use are marked by Bearmach GRB236G so are a genuine Series part that happens to fit all Land Rovers (ok, I wait with bated breath for the one it doesn't fit - Floaders don't count :) )

The clutch is one area i do have concerns about, one off the main jobs this motor will do is 'back up' for my 3.9 auto used for towing a double horse trailer. The 3.9 auto is very able for the job. Will a paddle clutch have any juddering, bearing in mind i need a smooth take off or horseie won’t like it. Very interested in this turner head, more info from anyone using one please, what about bottom end, this seems to be a good setup with very few problems as standard. I have ran 200tdi's for years and have had very good service from them with only the head and clutch arm giving me grieve, the heads do seem to be a weak link if miss treated. The pump will be sent for a full service and a new set of injectors fitted after being checked, have found before that just becouse they are new they arnt always right. Now what about cam and timing gear, is the original equipment best or fro someone else.

Thanks Steve

I've seen the plastic sleeve on thrust bearings melted away before now Jim. The heat of the clutch is bound to eventually radiate far enough to cause damage - especially with heavy use.

Les.

Ok maybe we don't have people who push their luck so far. Certainly challenge type events don't really exist here.

I have talked to turner engineering about the head and got that sorted, his opinion on the crank is that the original equipment and type are very reliable and have a good record, the pistons are up to the job that i want as iam not after high revs, all bolts and torques are fine as standard make sure piston bump is correct. Is there such a thing as a heavy duty/racing head gasket? Iam still trying to make up my mind about the clutch.

Steve

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 200tdi with ground crank and honed bores. I'm using Britpart (i know, i know) big end shells and mains, and pistons, and seal/gasket kits. I was dubious about buying them, but once i had examined them against genuine, i decided they were pretty much the same so bought britpart. The pistons are particularly nice.

I'm going to be using a 130 clutch,

And with headgaskets, use the thinnest one you can do after measuring piston protrusion. It makes a difference to compression ratios, which leaves you down on power if you fit too thick a gasket.