10-24 spline diffs

Les Henson

I have a 10-spline diff and I understand that 24-spline is better? Can I just replace the sun gear set and then buy the correct shafts?

My axle is off a 1987 110V8. EPC shows different gears, listed 10M, 11M, 12M, on so-on.

How do I identify what I've got and what to replace it with?

The sun gears are listed as a complete set of 4 gears and the shaft - I take it I have to replace the whole set?

Thanks.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim

I don't think the (2 pinion) 24 spline diffs are that much better than the 10 spline ones Les.

the 24 spline 4 pinion V8 HD diff, yes, thats a bulletproof unit, but the 2 pinion ones break just as easily as the 10 splines.

there's obviously an advantage of the extra splines (giving more surface area of contact between shaft and sun gear) but not much else.

/standing by to be corrected/ :P

All Def diffs are interchangable in the fact that they will fit the hole in the axle tube. Apart from the obvious Salisbury. The problem you may run into is getting the shafts to match the diff and stubs/ drive members. ISTR that all axle tubes have the same dimensions so if you got all the relevant bits from the donor axle then it should all bolt up correctly.

Are you going to offroad your new toy? If not why go to the expense of buying a new diff? Can you not find an old unit and get Ashcrofts/Devon4x4/Gigglepin to overhaul it for you. Ralph has mentioned others in the past but can't remember who he deals with.

Guest diesel_jim
Can I in that case fit a 4-pin assembly to what I already have?

I don't want to use second hand, so will buy new whatever I need.

Les.

Yes Les, you can fit the 4 pinion internal gubbins (just as one would fit, say an ARB or Quaife middle piece)

you "just" ;) fit the crownwheel to the diff unit, then the bearings and shim it up.

Les

No. I'm sure an ARB s classed as 4 pin. If that is correct, when I had my ARB's fitted to my 10spl diffs, it was just the centre that was replaced. The crownwheel was bolted to the new diff centre. HTH

Les,

The answers above have looked at 4 pin diffs, to complete your questions.

KAM sell replacement 24 spline Sun gears for 2 pin diffs as well as a whole range of 24 spline 4 pin diffs.

Not an advert it's just that I got the works tour the other week :P

Marc.

Les,

The answers above have looked at 4 pin diffs, to complete your questions.

KAM sell replacement 24 spline Sun gears for 2 pin diffs as well as a whole range of 24 spline 4 pin diffs.

Not an advert it's just that I got the works tour the other week :P

Marc.

Hi Now I am confused, has anyone actually passed a 24 spline shaft through the journal of a 10 spline center?? also as the sun gear journal size on the 24 is much larger than the 10 spline so how do you get the gear to fit??

Regards Ian A

Les

My 110 axles was an '87 model. It failed comprehensively at 200K/20 years whilst left foot breaking under heavy throttle with 33" aggressive tyres. Land Rover would not replace it so I rebuilt it with some fairly HD CVs, some Ashcroft half shafts ( from Pete Rowe) and a 2 pinion 24 spline diff. I did have a 4 pinion but I wanted and easy replaceable 'fuse' in the system that was still stronger than normal. It has worked well so far

Hi Now I am confused, has anyone actually passed a 24 spline shaft through the journal of a 10 spline center?? also as the sun gear journal size on the 24 is much larger than the 10 spline so how do you get the gear to fit??

Regards Ian A

Hi Ian,

I am only offering what I was told by Kevin, I may have missed some information, but the intention was to offer an option to suggest that if Les wanted to go that way then he could talk to KAM.

I must admit that I have not tried as I have a 4 Pin.

PS.

Nice to see you on here Ian as you have given me very good information and help in the distant past.

Marc.

I recently fitted a 24 spline diffcentre to a diff house that was 10 spline originally. its a straight fit, as long as you havent got the metric/imperial difference, in which case you need a set of spacers.

daan

I recently fitted a 24 spline diffcentre to a diff house that was 10 spline originally. its a straight fit, as long as you havent got the metric/imperial difference, in which case you need a set of spacers.

daan

What Ian is I believe saying is that if you fit a 24 spline Sun gear in toto a 2 pin Dif (not the housing) then the hole in the Diff carrier/body is not big enough for the 24 spline halfshaft to pass through.

KAM showed me a Sun gear made for this purpose but we did not discuss this issue so I do not know if it is a problem.

However as Ian is one of the most experienced people in this area I would be interested in a reply from Kevin at KAM.

Marc.