New Defender Owners

Just got my gearbox replaced due to a rattle after the gearbox and before the transfer box.

And a clang at the top of the clutch release. Well even though it was not the gear box.... ( know one knows what it is yet? )

Anyhow, it got serviced too, and a new oil sump.

This is now apparently a standard replacement part when new Defender gets serviced.

Just confirming this as I can remember there was doubt.

anyhow, that's it.

Just got my gearbox replaced due to a rattle after the gearbox and before the transfer box.

And a clang at the top of the clutch release. Well even though it was not the gear box.... ( know one knows what it is yet? )

Anyhow, it got serviced too, and a new oil sump.

This is now apparently a standard replacement part when new Defender gets serviced.

Just confirming this as I can remember there was doubt.

anyhow, that's it.

Is this an official Land Rover thing or something undertaken at dealer level. I had mine replaced last month but had to fight for it.

Oil sump replaced several months ago but after been hit by the shaft :rolleyes: here in Chile also are beign replaced by the dealer

The Badger: can you explain more about the gearbox problem? were covered by the guarantee? Probable cause?

Thanks

Oil sump replaced several months ago but after been hit by the shaft :rolleyes: here in Chile also are beign replaced by the dealer

The Badger: can you explain more about the gearbox problem? were covered by the guarantee? Probable cause?

Thanks

Well not really as I don't think there was a problem with the gear box, the dealer just replaced that , and the oil sump, the rattle still happens but im convinced it's not the gear box anyhow, and the dealer does not know what it is, check the image as the arrow show where the noise comes from and I and to stupid to know what this bit is.

And it was all covered by the warranty, had it's yearly service too.

post-4517-1219515339_thumb.jpg

Just had the 110 in for its first service and the dealer replaced the sump without asking. Possibly LR telling the dealers to just do it. Doubt if the dealer would do it of their own accord as the dealers seem to have to contact LR for anything warranty wise and that takes ages.

Tony

Well not really as I don't think there was a problem with the gear box, the dealer just replaced that , and the oil sump, the rattle still happens but im convinced it's not the gear box anyhow, and the dealer does not know what it is, check the image as the arrow show where the noise comes from and I and to stupid to know what this bit is.

And it was all covered by the warranty, had it's yearly service too.

Strange,

Must be somethig particular in your motor.

The part that you mentioned is the transmission extension housing (sorry if the translation is not good, but I have the workshop manual in Spanish) that holds the extension shaft.

By the way, I just check the GTR and appeared (Jul, 21st) a Special Service Message for the Puma motor regarding a heavy noise during the start in the motor.

Here it is:

Models

LD - Defender

Title 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.

Last Modified 21-JUL-2008 09:44

Category Engine

Symptom 497000 Engine Noise

Content Issue:

Heavy audible knocking heard on start up.

Cause:

On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets, (PCJ), to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurized oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and scuff conditions / damage can occur.

Action:

Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial # ELD00080707063602 are used.

This condition will not occur on vehicles post assured Vin# 9A767162.

Engines post the info above are fitted with modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.

Regards and I hope that the dealer found the problem

Eduardo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest diesel_jim
i hadn't heard it was a recall thing on the sump.

Anyone got any pics of undamaged new and undamaged old versions of the sump showing the difference?

I was under a puma the other week (with tape measure in hand... :ph34r::ph34r: ), the sump has a "scalloped" bit cast into it, a nice curve, as opposed to a flat wedge shaped cut-out.

no pic, sorry.

Im just waiting to get my defender back after its second transfer and its only done 3500 miles. also on the sump thing i have had mine changed but this was after the prop had made contact with it, and landrover had to see that there had been contact.