Split Charge Relays

disco_al

Apologies if this is in the wrong section to start :)

I was just looking at split charge systems, and was wondering what size relay is best for running with a 70 a/hr battery.

It's not for running anything major, couple of aux sockets in the back for charging lamps, and maybe a small size work lamp or two.

Any advice from the guru's most welcome

mainly the T-max system, and a couple on good ole flea bay.

was thinking of talking to the auto electricians in town and getting them to organise the correct relay, then sorting the wiring from there (got plenty of good sized cable about to use) and using a couple of dial gauges for monitoring.

it's to fit a standard 90 disco 3.5 (non air con), so i would imagine a 70-80 amp alternator

load wise would be max of 55w work lamp, and a charger for laptop/led torch. not planning on fridges and stuff like that

.........load wise would be max of 55w work lamp, and a charger for laptop/led torch. not planning on fridges and stuff like that

If that is all you're going to run off it why do you think you need another battery?

If you felt the need you could up the size of your existing battery but I would have thought your standard battery would have been able to cope on its own.

Steve

If that is all you're going to run off it why do you think you need another battery?

I have been given a 70 a/hr battery that will be left to go dead other wise, and as i tend to be out and about fixing cars and farm stuff in the evenings, as well as bail loading/unloading it makes sense for me to add a second battery to run the lights off, rather than end up in the middle of a field with a flat battery.

I will probably be adding a light bar across the front at some point too, and will more than likely use the second battery to power that, via a separate feed, so that it can be run independantly of the main lights, for extra front end lighting.