p38 overheating, i think

jds

hi all,

I have a 1999 p38 4.0. I was driving it yesterday and the temp gauge was sat on half way after about half hour of driving i stopped went in to a shop to pick up the radio for it, i was in the shop no more than 2 mins, got back in turned the key and the temp gauge went straight up to the red for about 5 secs then went back to the middle.

Drove another 5 mins and the temp slowly creeped up to the red and light came on.

I left it for about 20 mins and the temp was back down to halfway.

so my question is should the temp jump up that quickly? and could it showing a wrong temp on the dash?

or does this sound like something else?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

cheers

john

hi all,

I have a 1999 p38 4.0. I was driving it yesterday and the temp gauge was sat on half way after about half hour of driving i stopped went in to a shop to pick up the radio for it, i was in the shop no more than 2 mins, got back in turned the key and the temp gauge went straight up to the red for about 5 secs then went back to the middle.

Drove another 5 mins and the temp slowly creeped up to the red and light came on.

so my question is should the temp jump up that quickly? and could it showing a wrong temp on the dash?

cheers

john sounds like it could be a dodgey thermostat that it sticking

hi all,

No and Yes if the sender is faulty

Could be the Sender, could be the Thermostat, could be the Fan belt is broken, could be the Radiator blocked, but you might want to give us some more info, like are you in Iceland or the Sahara, have you checked coolant level, is the Radiator airway obstructed, are you running the Aircon if so are the Aircon fans working?

cheers

john

The coolant level is fine, i am in london so no extreme weather.

Are there any checks that i can do to eliminate one thing or another?

thanks for the replies

So it's summer, have you looked under the Bonnet and done any of the simple checks, coolant level, Fan belt, radiator obstructed, aircon fans coming on etc.

How many Klometres has it done, how long have you owned the vehicle any previous overheating probs.

Ok i have owned it for 2 months but it has been in the garage for most that time i only got it back a couple of days ago it had the dreaded liner problem so it has been rebuilt. It has done just over 100k

The coolant level is ok, the fan belt was replaced last week so is brand new. what do you mean is the radiator obstucted?

Ok i have owned it for 2 months but it has been in the garage for most that time i only got it back a couple of days ago it had the dreaded liner problem so it has been rebuilt. It has done just over 100k

The coolant level is ok, the fan belt was replaced last week so is brand new. what do you mean is the radiator obstucted?

then it is proberbly an air lock i had the sam problem the other week

What exactly was done to cure the liner problem?

Bearing in mind that the only cure is a replacement block or engine.

Is it throwing water out?

Is it losing water?

As you have only had it back a couple of days after major repair then take it back, as they clearly haven't fixed it.