Tay Forest Challenge 2008

JennyB

Mr Nick has got some great shot's of that :lol:

Well done lad's on a great team win :i-m_so_happy:

First of all well done to all that entered and a bigger well done to everyone that finished in one piece.

Sorry for being a bit shy on posting my photo's but as some of you know i was on holiday up in scotland and only got back this thursday night. I've got about a 1000 pictures to look through and two days of video footage to edit, so bare with me guys.

Adrian your right there mate !

Chris i think you mean this one below.

post-1076-1219969955_thumb.jpg

First of all well done to all that entered and a bigger well done to everyone that finished in one piece.

Sorry for being a bit shy on posting my photo's but as some of you know i was on holiday up in scotland and only got back this thursday night. I've got about a 1000 pictures to look through and two days of video footage to edit, so bare with me guys.

Adrian your right there mate !

Chris i think you mean this one below.

It felt steeper than that looks :lol:

It felt steeper than that looks :lol:

It was right on the point of balance, technical winching at its best :) Great photos Mr Nick and Simon, its nice to see what everyone else got up too, Mr Nash taking driving on its side to a whole new level :rolleyes:

No need to drive to scotland next year, ive got half of the tay forest on my yard :blink:

Dear All,

As the Scotish "I want to be like Chris Abel" challenge is now behind us I would like to share my observations after watching Chris/Simon, Alan/Dafydd.

To make it short, they were cheating all along and after only seeing them at the end of one section I was disgusted and went to the pub to get drunk. I cannot believe That the organisers let them get away with this and that other competitors who saw the same I saw just let them get away with it and even applauded at the prize giving.

To be more specific:

a) Chris has a tree monkey as a co-driver! It cannot be in the spirit of our sport if the winch bitch is replaced by a monkey who actually can climb up trees to set winch anchor points. Simon should be handicapped with chains around his ankles and handcuffed behind the back.

B) Chris' truck did not have a windscreen. This unbelievably was not notice during scruteneering and actually alowed him to hear when his co-driver (the above mentioned, to be punished tree monkey) shouted instructions at him. While every other driver ignores the bitch (as it is supposed to be) Chris actually listens to Simon wich is clearly against the rules and border line cheating! For future events Chris should be made to wear ear plugs and should be blind folded to make sure he does not react to hand signals either!

c) No breakages on his truck! The unwritten code of conduct in winch challenges states that your truck has to break down at least once per day on a trophy. While everyone adheres to this unwritten rule Chris' truck never breaks down. His "simulated" break down in the first section was traced down to a squashed fuel line was a clear attempt to cheat on the rule as not even tools had to be used to fix the car. Again, clear cheating and I suggest that the other competitors should be given 30 minutes of tinkering time on Chris' truck before the event starts.

d) His winch(es). Well what can I say. Having reliable double motor electric winches front and rear is just taking the tiddle. Again, in combination with a), B) and c) above this can only be seen as playing outside the rules. A hand puller or alternativly a hydrolic winch which stalls all the time should be made mandatory for "Team Cheating".

I thought a long time before posting this accusations but the above photo evidence makes it clear to everyone what was going on.

Hopefully we can avoid this kind of behaviour going on in the future.

Best

Stef

Dear All,

As the Scotish "I want to be like Chris Abel" challenge is now behind us I would like to share my observations after watching Chris/Simon, Alan/Dafydd.

To make it short, they were cheating all along and after only seeing them at the end of one section I was disgusted and went to the pub to get drunk. I cannot believe That the organisers let them get away with this and that other competitors who saw the same I saw just let them get away with it and even applauded at the prize giving.

To be more specific:

a) Chris has a tree monkey as a co-driver! It cannot be in the spirit of our sport if the winch bitch is replaced by a monkey who actually can climb up trees to set winch anchor points. Simon should be handicapped with chains around his ankles and handcuffed behind the back.

B) Chris' truck did not have a windscreen. This unbelievably was not notice during scruteneering and actually alowed him to hear when his co-driver (the above mentioned, to be punished tree monkey) shouted instructions at him. While every other driver ignores the bitch (as it is supposed to be) Chris actually listens to Simon wich is clearly against the rules and border line cheating! For future events Chris should be made to wear ear plugs and should be blind folded to make sure he does not react to hand signals either!

c) No breakages on his truck! The unwritten code of conduct in winch challenges states that your truck has to break down at least once per day on a trophy. While everyone adheres to this unwritten rule Chris' truck never breaks down. His "simulated" break down in the first section was traced down to a squashed fuel line was a clear attempt to cheat on the rule as not even tools had to be used to fix the car. Again, clear cheating and I suggest that the other competitors should be given 30 minutes of tinkering time on Chris' truck before the event starts.

d) His winch(es). Well what can I say. Having reliable double motor electric winches front and rear is just taking the tiddle. Again, in combination with a), B) and c) above this can only be seen as playing outside the rules. A hand puller or alternativly a hydrolic winch which stalls all the time should be made mandatory for "Team Cheating".

I thought a long time before posting this accusations but the above photo evidence makes it clear to everyone what was going on.

Best

Stef

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I did have a leaky brake line does that count as brakage :P

Love you stef :hysterical:

Best

Stef

As an observer waiting at the back of the queue when the tree climbing monkey thing was going on, I can catagorically say that niether Chris nor Si were cheating as the incident in question occurred whilst getting Daan's car out of the melee of twisted, tortured trees that made the "difficult" bit of the said section (11), impassible. Daan was clearly cheating.

I do hower accept that Si should be handicapped in all future non-team events. Chris blindfolded would also be a good idea in said future events.

As a team, there were sufficient breakages to warrent the minimum statutory count, I lost a tyre mid section and an alternator as my hydrolic winch put too much strain on something or other. I also accepted the handicap of stalling winch by fitting too much rope, this handicap was allowed to be removed Sunday as it was found that Chris had insufficient rope to do the long pulls expected in the Tay.

Steff, you need some portals mate <_< Oh and a team mate that can finish :P:lol:;)

Alan,

Thank you for sharing my views! Having a second look at the results I truly believe that Jim and I won the event as EVERYONE else was cheating:

Chris/Alan - as described, cheting: OUT

Davenhill/Dean - Airsuspension, well prepared, cheating: OUT

Tony/Dransfield - too old, cheating: OUT

Bathtub/Chris - too ugly, cheating: OUT

and I can run through the full list here!

So MrT, if you read this, please send us the trophy, plus I think we deserve the special "tread lightly" award as we only managed to drive 2 miles through the forest and did not ruin the beutiful Scotish countryside like the other cheaters!!!

Daan was clearly cheating.

Yeah right, We moved trees to make it easier for you!

On the subject of cheating, I saw a load of trailers parked in the woods, were the organizers clearly state you have to drive your car from the hotel.

Daan

Yeah right, We moved trees to make it easier for you!

On the subject of cheating, I saw a load of trailers parked in the woods, were the organizers clearly state you have to drive your car from the hotel.

Daan

:o I was joking Daan, sorry if you have taken offence, it was meant in the spirit of the Steffs post <_< . That was a tough section, we both got trees between our axles and chassis, it was a pig to get out of and with time slipping away.

:o I was joking Daan, sorry if you have taken offence, it was meant in the spirit of the Steffs post <_< . That was a tough section, we both got trees between our axles and chassis, it was a pig to get out of and with time slipping away.

no offense alan, That section was a tough one. anyway what about the trailers?....

Daan

no offense alan, That section was a tough one. anyway what about the trailers?....

Daan

We, and others had been asking for a couple of weeks at least if there was space to park trailers etc. During scrutineering, someone asked the question again and we were told we could park on the road on the right of the large junction as you eneter the forest, so we did. It was a safety concern for most, trucks get seriously damaged in the event and it was a long way back to the campsite. I went back to the truck to get my spare wheel but if the truck was'nt there, all spares would have been much closer at control anyway.

We, and others had been asking for a couple of weeks at least if there was space to park trailers etc. During scrutineering, someone asked the question again and we were told we could park on the road on the right of the large junction as you eneter the forest, so we did. It was a safety concern for most, trucks get seriously damaged in the event and it was a long way back to the campsite. I went back to the truck to get my spare wheel but if the truck was'nt there, all spares would have been much closer at control anyway.

A very wise move IMHO. We parked a trailer opposite the junction last year. We didn't have to use it and drove too and from the site on both days but it was there as backup. I would much rather have the trailer there "just in case" than drive the truck from the site in a dangerous state (I know of people leaving the site with broken track rod end's tied together , No brakes due to broken brake pipes and broken and bodges steering bars in 07) Makes sense too me to have a trailer there if something does go wrong!

To be more specific:

Being a truly fat bar steward of 20st. I volunteer to be tied to Simon's back for all future events. This way he has a severe weight penalty and I can constantly jibber in his ears to genreally put him off.

Having seen them in all the Howling Wolf's this year, I feel this is a sacrifice I have to make, to give every other competitors a chance!

BB... Now looking forward to West Harptree!! :ph34r:

Dear All,

To be more specific:

Best

Stef

i pleed guilty as charged. although a set of chains is a little harsh!?!?!

Not aloud to use them. The forest challenge is run in conjunction with the Scottish forestry commission. Andy has a good rapport with them so minimal damage. :blink:

Hi Nick,

Since when did you become a member of our team???

How dare you answer any questions on behalf of the SWCC!

The official response to your question as follows:-

NO!

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Nick,

Since when did you become a member of our team???

How dare you answer any questions on behalf of the SWCC!

The official response to your question as follows:-

NO!

Regards,

Andy.

As I'm on someone elses Pc my only response to that would be the same as what would come from your mouth.

Think it starts with B and ends with *****s.

But I will remember you answer for next time Andy.

:P

A very wise move IMHO. We parked a trailer opposite the junction last year. We didn't have to use it and drove too and from the site on both days but it was there as backup. I would much rather have the trailer there "just in case" than drive the truck from the site in a dangerous state (I know of people leaving the site with broken track rod end's tied together , No brakes due to broken brake pipes and broken and bodges steering bars in 07) Makes sense too me to have a trailer there if something does go wrong!

That all may be the case, but for me and some others, I have to drive 500 miles back on the road with the comp truck, and will drive accordingly. It is harder to compete on a drive to survive basis, while the rest is treating the event like a demolition darby. I have been criticised for this, but I think the event should involve the roadmiles bit just to stop the demo darby element of it; Also, the rules of the event did cater for this, and than it appears all those rules have gone out of the window overnight.

Constructive critisism from my side, to what is otherwise a great event and we enjoyed it very much.

Daan

That all may be the case, but for me and some others, I have to drive 500 miles back on the road with the comp truck, and will drive accordingly. It is harder to compete on a drive to survive basis, while the rest is treating the event like a demolition darby. I have been criticised for this, but I think the event should involve the roadmiles bit just to stop the demo darby element of it; Also, the rules of the event did cater for this, and than it appears all those rules have gone out of the window overnight.

Constructive critisism from my side, to what is otherwise a great event and we enjoyed it very much.

Daan

Demolition darby? all i had on my truck was a small dent in the door, i do however remember the wings on your car ;) . I did not drive to the forest because i dont want to be pulled by the police for having broken lights, brake lines hanging off, etc etc. It makes sence to use the trailer if you have one. If you want to drive your truck on the road after competing thats up to you. If your TRE brakes off on the way back because you never spotted it, covered in mud etc.. and you then susiquently kill someone then you might change your opinion when your sat in prison.