Land Rover Service Bulletin SSM38792

In the Land Rover GTR appears te following service bulletin issued some weeks ago:

Somebody with this trouble?

Regards

Title: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.

Type: LD - Defender - All Years - Special Service Messages - Engine

Name / Part No: SSM38792

Info Type: Service Bulletins

Version No: 1

Date Uploaded: 21 Jul 2008

Models: LD - Defender

Title: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.

Last Modified: 21-JUL-2008 09:44

Category: Engine

Symptom: 497000 Engine Noise

Content Issue: Heavy audible knocking heard on start up.

Cause: On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets, (PCJ), to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurized oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and scuff conditions / damage can occur.

Action: Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial # ELD00080707063602 are used.

This condition will not occur on vehicles post assured Vin# 9A767162.

Engines post the info above are fitted with modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.

Should this effectively be a recall?

An expensive one to address for Land Rover so I suspect they will keep quiet about it unless people complain.

The problem is how do you tell if its problematic, most garages will say its just diesel noise while its cold and most people would accept it.

I dont own a PUMA so it doesn't affect me but it does sound like a bit of a design flaw.

Eduardo thanks for posting this.

Cheers

G

I wonder if this problem is also present on the Transit and London Taxi using the same Puma/Duratorq engines?, or is the LR Puma a special in this respect. If it effects Transits then it's a much larger problem for Ford.

Not sure, but I believe engines for LR were slightly modified by some %$ for off road conditions.

mmmmmmmmmmmm.........................Td5....... :lol::lol:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice shiny new 300Tdi AND a 4.0 V8 :P

I guess the "noise" is a horrible banging noise like you might get if you have a round piston in an oval shaped hole :ph34r:

Can anyone point specifically to where in the GTR this bulletin is, please?

A friend needs this reference quickly to try and clear up a long-running warranty dispute on his '07 110.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

Can anyone point specifically to where in the GTR this bulletin is, please?

A friend needs this reference quickly to try and clear up a long-running warranty dispute on his '07 110.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

Well, go to www.landrovertechinfo.com, log in (or register, then log in), select Defender and Special Service Messages and you will see it listed along with all previous messages. However, to get further, i.e. to see the body of the message, you have to be a paid subscriber to GTR, it's not a free service.

I presume any dealer will have access to the system given the correct SSM reference number, or just print out the text given above, and give it to your local friendly LR dealer for attention.

Well, go to www.landrovertechinfo.com, log in (or register, then log in), select Defender and Special Service Messages and you will see it listed along with all previous messages. However, to get further, i.e. to see the body of the message, you have to be a paid subscriber to GTR, it's not a free service.

I presume any dealer will have access to the system given the correct SSM reference number, or just print out the text given above, and give it to your local friendly LR dealer for attention.

That's rigth. In general for each vehicle that I bougth i suscribe in order to have acces to the workshop manual.

The service message was retrieved from there.

Regards

I was looking without success through Google if the problem also were found in other Duratorq engines. So, should be a part of the modificatios made by LR :(

My thougth is that will be treated similar to the oil sump problem (change as service go). By the way, I just sent the information to my dealer contact (in the warranty dept) to request more information.

Regards

• 1 month later...
Any update?

Which is the attitude LR and their dealers show about this issue? The usual "deny, deny and then finally ... deny"??

Thanks

Silvio,

Not so much to said. Our dealer (regretably far away from UK) said us that if a vehicle will have this problem they will proceed according the SSM but they believe that will affect only some cars :blink: . Until now, As far as I know, at least in Chile, no one have presented the problem.

Will be very good to know how many Pumas around the world have this problem already, to have an idea of how spread it is.

Regards

Hi Eduardo, thanks for the reply!

Here in Italy some fellow deforder owners are wondering whether it would be better to replace those oil jets in anycase with the modified type, just to be on the safe side.

Even without LR cooperation, it shouldn't be an expensive option (provided it is feasible with the mere removal of the sump), and can give you a relative peace of mind for the future...

• 2 months later...
Hi Eduardo, thanks for the reply!

Here in Italy some fellow deforder owners are wondering whether it would be better to replace those oil jets in anycase with the modified type, just to be on the safe side.

Even without LR cooperation, it shouldn't be an expensive option (provided it is feasible with the mere removal of the sump), and can give you a relative peace of mind for the future...

Does anybody knows the partnumbers for the old and new oil jets . Or is there any technical drawing so i can see ?