Changing the door glass in a Classic

reggie

Does anyone know how to change the door glass in the front & rear doors of the RRC?

I've never changed a door glass before but suspect it can't be that hard but if anyone has some easy to follow instructions it would make like easier.

Dead easy....

Door panel off, remove the window frame (2 torx head bolts at the top on the outside of the door, and an indertiminate number inside) release the mechanism from the bottom of the glass and lift out :)

At least that's how I remember it...

Dead easy....

Door panel off, remove the window frame (2 torx head bolts at the top on the outside of the door, and an indertiminate number inside) release the mechanism from the bottom of the glass and lift out :)

At least that's how I remember it...

I've got two doors in my garage & was looking at them but couldn't quite figure out which bolts remove the frame, also will I need the doors plugged in to move the window up & down to get to the mechanism?

Pretty sure you need to get the glass to the bottom to unhook it from the mechanism, yes -unless I am going mad.

The bolts on the inside of the door should be easy to spot, I need to correct myself however, the bolts on the front edge and rear edge of the doors are not both Torx, the front one it, the other a normal hex.

It is certainly easier with the ability to adjust the height of the glass when trying to disengage the mechanism from the channel at the bottom of the glass, but if it is already off the vehicle then just unbolt the motor from the mechanism - be warned, the glass will then decend rapidly and their are pleny of opportunities to trap / sever fingers in there!

Thanks guys I'll have another look & have a go at getting out the glass, without severing my fingers.............................If you don't hear from me ever again its because I've got no fingers left & can't type............ :o

I stuck duct tape over the glass and frame top to hold it in place while I dismantled. Door card out, bolts out from front and back edge of the door, unscrew and remove the window motor/actuator mechanism and remove from inside the door, undo the two screws attaching the channels to the inside bottom of the door, wing mirror off (were applicable!) waste rail seal off, then the frame lifts out with glass still attached.

Take tape off and out slides the glass...

Must say it's one of the few step by step procedures in Haynes that went rather well!

• 3 weeks later...