Alternator Belt Length

bishbosh

I am in the middle of plumbing in the turbo and intercooler on the 200TDi-auto-into-90-project.

I want the alternator to sit a little higher to give me more space for hoses. To achieve this, the alternator belt needs to be longer than the standard item.

The belt I have to hand (brand new) is a Gates 6281 MC. A google yielded nothing in terms of its length or options for longer belts.

Does anyone have any info on belt length in general so I can pick a couple of longer ones or is it off to Halfrauds.....?

Thanks,

Bish

Why not position the alt where you need it and then use some string to measure the length. I know the motor factors in Minehead will then order the length of belt you need in the right pitch

The measuring with string does not work well as the string sits right down in the V whereas the belt does not.

Best to find an old belt you can cut then wrap it around the pulleys and measure how much longer or shorter it is than what you want.

Belts have more than one section size but once you know what that is then the Halfords part number is the belt length so you just go along the display until you find the size that is closest to your measurement. Unfortunately you will find that the size you want is out of stock.

Steve

I am in the middle of plumbing in the turbo and intercooler on the 200TDi-auto-into-90-project.

I want the alternator to sit a little higher to give me more space for hoses. To achieve this, the alternator belt needs to be longer than the standard item.

The belt I have to hand (brand new) is a Gates 6281 MC. A google yielded nothing in terms of its length or options for longer belts.

Does anyone have any info on belt length in general so I can pick a couple of longer ones or is it off to Halfrauds.....?

Thanks,

Bish.

Standard Alternator belt for 200 Tdi Disco (ETC 7469) is a 9.5 x 610mm V belt.

You'll find that the standard Halfords belt part nos denote the lengths, so finding one the right size shouldn't be a problem. Once you have the size you want, let me know and I'll add it to the list to collect from Maccess...

Matt