Freestyles on a 110 CSW

Hello one and all, I just want to know if I can run my 110 on a set of freestyle alloys?

I have a salisbury rear axle with drums, so can I use my 30mm wheel spacers from my disco on the 110 with freestyles.

It's a CSW 110, will they be rated high enough for the weight?

Thanks in advance

Andi K

I have to admit, that every response I've had on other forums state thjat if there is a claim against the insurance then it will be deemed invalid due incorrect wheels, causung a dangerous vehicle!

Well it looks like I'll be sticking 8 spokes on!

I have to admit, that every response I've had on other forums state thjat if there is a claim against the insurance then it will be deemed invalid due incorrect wheels, causung a dangerous vehicle!

Well it looks like I'll be sticking 8 spokes on!

I've just called Andy at AJS4x4 (AndyS@AJS4x4.co.uk), threatening to spend money on new rims, and he said that he didn't know of a single Land Rover wheel which wasn't rated for the 110 and that the freestyles were perfectly safe.

So, conundrum, who to believe (not that I disbelieve anyone, you all sound very knowledgeable).

Hello MrFrog, I have to admit I REALLY want to run the freestyles as I have 8 very clean ones with tyres in the garage, but after speaking to my local independant landy place I wouldn't risk it.

I have around 95% of the responses, some quoting all maneer of technical info, telling me that freestyles were never offered on the 110 or 130 due the vechicles rear end weight.

Sorry

Hello MrFrog, I have to admit I REALLY want to run the freestyles as I have 8 very clean ones with tyres in the garage, but after speaking to my local independant landy place I wouldn't risk it.

I have around 95% of the responses, some quoting all maneer of technical info, telling me that freestyles were never offered on the 110 or 130 due the vechicles rear end weight.

I've just called one dealer (reading) who is happy that they are fine on a 110CSW provided they are genuine original land rover wheels...

I am not bothered about their look and would happily replace them for something else, just don't feel like forking out £££'s on unnecessary wheel changes... :(

I've just called Andy at AJS4x4 (AndyS@AJS4x4.co.uk), threatening to spend money on new rims, and he said that he didn't know of a single Land Rover wheel which wasn't rated for the 110 and that the freestyles were perfectly safe.

So, conundrum, who to believe (not that I disbelieve anyone, you all sound very knowledgeable).

Land Rover do not approve the 'Tornado' alloys (otherwise known as "Freestyle Choice") for 110s though when I tried to get an actual figure from LR for their max safe weight rating, nobody could tell me!

They are rated for a Discovery which is 2720kg GVW, only 300kg short of a 110's GVW of 3050kg so there isn't a lot in it and it probably is fair to say "they are perfectly safe" unless you have an expedition vehicle loaded to the gunwales in which case I guess alloys are probably not a likely choice anyway :)

To put some numbers on it:

Discovery Tdi max rear axle weight is 1650kg i.e. 825kg per wheel

Defender 110 max rear axle weight is 1850kg (fitted with std suspension) i.e. 925kg per wheel

So the rating for a Tornado alloy "might" be somewhere between 825kg and 925kg.

Interestingly the ripoff copies of the Tornado alloy are mostly (maybe all) rated for use on a 110 so make of that what you will :rolleyes:

See http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/4x4-wheels.aspx for 2 examples!

I guess it depends on how cranky your insurers are. I run them on my 110.

Land Rover do not approve the 'Tornado' alloys (otherwise known as "Freestyle Choice") for 110s though when I tried to get an actual figure from LR for their max safe weight rating, nobody could tell me!

I've just called dealer number 2 (ascot), and they stated that provided they are land rover wheels, they will be fine...

Close up picture of our wheels, they sort of look like freestyle, but they're different... the spokes are wider than the freestyle ones, they look chunkier.

DSCN0860.jpg

I guess it depends on how cranky your insurers are. I run them on my 110.

We're with privilege (never thought I'd ever say that :P), I doubt they would know/care that much in all honesty... But, I don't want to be driving a vehicle that's unsafe, regardless of what the insurance companies think ;) It would seem that the decision is borderline based on your numbers.

I really want to fitthese, argh!

I'll be phoning dealers tomorrow and I'll try to get it in writing

Both dealers I called said that provided the wheels are land rover wheels, they will be fine, but, worth getting it in writing if you can. My next stop was going to be land rover customer service.

Still bugs me that while I am getting 100% positive from the horse's mouth, plenty of people here and elsewhere quote problems with insurers...

Oh, and according to stamp on our wheels (ANR5307), they are tornado, which I think are the same as freestyle, just different name...

all depends on the weight you carry do you carry the same weight as spec states?

never heard of freestyles or any land rover alloys failing heard of plenty of steels failing tho

only thing i'm not sure of is if they fit on a drum axle?? someone will confirm that

if you dont carry mega weight in there an they fit ok i'd go for it

but found this give them a ring an chat

clicky first

clicky next

clicky last but not too sure on this method :-S

dave

Oh, and according to stamp on our wheels (ANR5307), they are tornado, which I think are the same as freestyle, just different name...

[wheel anorak mode]

The wheels are actually all called "Tornado" fitting with the Land Rover theme of naming their alloys wet n' wild e.g. Cyclone, Hurricane and Tempest which are all other LR alloys. Much more catchy than "Style 4" which must be some Euro marketing muppet idea as that is what they use nowadays, maybe they ran out of storms.

The "Freestyle" name which everybody uses comes from the fact that they were originally offered on 90s and Discoverys as part of what was called the "Freestyle Choice option pack" which was da bling rimz fitted with 235/70R16 tyres on a Discovery; or the alloys fitted with 265/75R16 tyres and anti-roll bars on the 90.

The original part number was ANR1689MNH which became ANR5307MNH later on though I don't know if there are differences between the wheels - they look the same.

I would also suggest that most 4x4 OEM wheels are going to be vastly over-rated and so the spokes are not going to pop out the moment you go 10kg over. Rallying a 110 loaded to GVW would probably be a dumb thing to do. By way of real world experience I have bust a set of Tornado alloys when I hit a six inch steel pipe lying across the road, the impact was so hard it shattered the spotlights on the vehicle and bent both the front wheel rims horribly (the worst was about four inches out of round), but they didn't break!

[/wheel anorak mode]

:)

Thanks, this is useful information. Not sure any wheel would take to a six inch hit at speed without damage. Main use for the defender is on-road, with 4 people max, no significant load or towing.

A little off road is planned, rocky road, low speed up/down hill, I am sure they will be fine.

Sounds like I need to find a replacement though, for piece of mind if anything.

I have seen plenty of LWB with these fitted - wheels will have quite a safety factor built into them as they are a critical item - plenty of people load up their discos to the limit+ and I have never heard of a wheel breaking.

I personally would not worry as with what you are carrying daily is not putting the weight above the GVW of a laden disco - in fact the 110 is probably lighter unloaded anyway and you would have to put a lot in it to get close.

What was said above is all true, the Freestyles will almost certainly fair just fine and there is little doubt that they are up to the job based solely on the number in use on 110s. The point though, is that they are apparently NOT rated for the job (although nobody seems able to produce figures, wait till Ralph gets back!) and if one were to fail, for whatever reason, then the insurers might have a get-out clause and the CPS might have a case for prosecution.

Chris

if one were to fail, for whatever reason, then the insurers might have a get-out clause and the CPS might have a case for prosecution.

That's the most worrying thing to a certain extent. I am quite happy driving around on the basis that they are thought/known to be strong enough, not sure I want to risk paying out for the rest of my life should the worst happen and my insurer decide not to honor our policy...

I'll give them a call in a few days and clearly state they are tornado wheels, ask them for written confirmation of update on policy and take that as confirmation they are happy with them.

If they grumble, I'll get them changed to the cheapest wheels I can find for now.