Freestyles on a 110 CSW

Land Rover do not approve the 'Tornado' alloys (otherwise known as "Freestyle Choice") for 110s though when I tried to get an actual figure from LR for their max safe weight rating, nobody could tell me!

Stamp on the inside of the wheel says 850kg (not absolute max I guess, but, recommended max)

Defender 110 max rear axle weight is 1850kg (fitted with std suspension) i.e. 925kg per wheel

So 850kg is not enough (technically), they are therefore unsuitable (technically).

good grief you all worry so much

do you have any idea what the safety margin on these things is...rather a lot. in this litigious age engineers hardly take any risk. regarding the insurance issue it would only be a problem if the wheels were responsible for any failure and assuming you inform your insurer, as the your insurance document will tell you you must do, it should be fine.

• 8 years later...

Looking for new wheels at the mo and came across  this

I've a 1990 110 fitted with Tornado's for 15 years now ....I used to Cary loads of the roof rack and tow 1-2 ton  regular (before I found out I needed at B+E Licence OPPSSS) and never a problem with the wheels....

I can also confirm 100% Free styles and Tornados ARE different......Having brought a spare wheel for mine when I first got it and buying a free style wheel......they look the same UNTIL you put them next to each other and find the rim bit where the numbers are stamped is different .