Things I should replace on the engine

Gents,

Still in the process of blinging spraying my 200TDi engine parts for reassembly (god knows what its going to look like with a mixture of black sump, red block and silver alloy components! :D ) and should hopefully be able to start reassembling soon.

I am obviously replacing the timing belt etc but wondered what else is worth replacing while I am at it?

Timing belt tensioner/idler, water pump, thermostat all spring to mind. Can think of anything else that should be replaced that would limit the amount of "I wish I had done that at the time.........." frustrations. :angry2:

Cheers in advance.

G :)

How much have you stripped it down?

Front and rear crankcase oil seals?

New gaskets on assembly,

rocker cover gasket,

clutch,

clutch idler bearing, get the metal type as the plastic ones can over heat!

What are the belts like?

full service of oils and filters,

entire vehicle!

Where do you want to stop?!?

Cheers

Neil

How much have you stripped it down?

Front and rear crankcase oil seals?

New gaskets on assembly,

rocker cover gasket,

clutch,

clutch idler bearing, get the metal type as the plastic ones can over heat!

What are the belts like?

full service of oils and filters,

entire vehicle!

Where do you want to stop?!?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Its a complete ground up build with my 90 covering about 30 square metres of floorspace in a number of sheds.

Axles have been completely refurbed and rebuilt and the engine is now getting the same treatment.

The engine must be the longest rebuild in history (work, family and money are the constraints most family guys must be familiar with :rolleyes: so at least I can pretend I have excuses!)

Back to the engine Im looking at replacing those parts that would be a complete bugger to replace and a shame to go back to.

Come to think of it its probably only the water pump and idler/tensioner that would be a bugger to go back to so I think I have answered ny own question! :P

Cheers

Grant :)

black sump, red block and silver alloy components

Tart! :lol:

Paint the various pulleys red and when the engine is running it'll look phsychadelic man! :blink:

Core plugs, temp sender, thermostat, oil seperator, all oil seals, sump plug copper washer (in fact - all copper or alloy sealing washers), possibly valve caps, lift pump, glow plugs.

Les :)

Very easy - it doesn't matter that the block is assembled. If you get a blunt screwdriver, bash one edge inwards - the opposite edge of the core plug will pivot outwards. You can then lever it out of the hole. The holes will then need cleaning with some fairly fine wet/dry paper (800 grit). Put a thin layer of threadlock around the edge of the hole and then knock the new plug in nice and square. I use a socket that fits snugly inside the new plug to do it.

Les.

One last thing......

I count two core plugs at the end of the block and three under the manifolds.

Im presuming I dont need to change the one at the rear of the block where the cam shaft resides (it insnt used for keeping water in) and presume this is onlyever removed for line boring and fitting of new cam bearings?

I notice the head also has core plugs, two under the glow plugs level and one at the rear of the head. Do you replace these also?

Cheers

G :)