Can I save this ??

You could certainly prolong its life for a bit with the right repair panels but TBH I would just find a good 2nd hand one/new one and fit that instead, By the time you add in the cost of repair panels you might as well get a whole new one, I paid £50 for mine, got it blasted for £10 then just painted it myself, tipped it upside down and filled it with waxoyl! If I could turn back time I would have got it galvanised...

Mike

Christ on a Bike, that is truly a mess.

Nothing is irrepairable, but snaity often dictates what is and isn't, that is going to require a hell of a load of fabrication skills welding etc and yes you can buy replacment panels, but I'll wager you'll be adding extar aptches in as you go and find worse still to come. What are the bulkhead top crners like, and the main down channels, both can also rot out....

If it was me then I would prop swap for a decent 'new' secondhand one , as whatever you do to this will prob at best only buy you some time, and they are not exactly easy to weld on a 90 :(

Nige

Yes I agree, this does look fairly far gone - there are lots of 2nd hand ones in better nick.

But it depends what you mean by 'saved'? Anything can have plates welded over or in (depending on how much a perfectionist you are) and be fine for MoT, (most MoT testers deon't get too worried about the state of LR footwells) but in a few years the rot will creep back out around the new plates. As hybrid says the top corners (and the areas you can see once you remove the windscreen) are also potential real problem areas, so maybe take a look at these as well before deciding.

(BTW I bought a secondhand early td5 bulkhead for £100 which isnt much, but then the amount of work to fit is!)

I purchased a new TD5 bulkhead from Bearmach last year. Cost was about 160 quid delivered. Did the work on my own apart from lifting in the new b/head. Took me 6 days. That was outside in the elements. It can be done easily, if you take your time. And I'm no mechanic. Just a spanner monkey :P

I purchased a new TD5 bulkhead from Bearmach last year. Cost was about 160 quid delivered. Did the work on my own apart from lifting in the new b/head. Took me 6 days. That was outside in the elements. It can be done easily, if you take your time. And I'm no mechanic. Just a spanner monkey :P

First, will a TD5 fit defender (don't mind a few little mods as I'm making my own tunnel) and mechanics fit new bits to newish cars and when confronted with a bit that dosen't quite fit then they send it back, whereas a spanner monkey will modify the part and it will ft and work perfectly... :P ... :D

First, will a TD5 fit defender (don't mind a few little mods as I'm making my own tunnel) and mechanics fit new bits to newish cars and when confronted with a bit that dosen't quite fit then they send it back, whereas a spanner monkey will modify the part and it will ft and work perfectly... :P ... :D

i think you might be refering to fitters rather than mechanics we dont want to start ww3 here :rolleyes:

i think you might be refering to fitters rather than mechanics we dont want to start ww3 here :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended :rolleyes:

Difficult to know these days, I have a City and Guilds in mechanical engineering but wouldn't know where to start if asked to service say a BMW.

My mate has no qualifications to speak of but can strip a renault to a bare shell and back again while I'm still thinking about it, but he can't tune an S.U. or twiddle and fix a dizzy. I can :P

Horses for courses then eh :lol:

the early td5 bulkhead (what I used) fits without too much hassle - you need to cut a new hole (1"and a bit) for the loom in the centre of the bulkhead and blank off (rivet a plate) over the old one in the footwell. All the other main bits are ok (but no rivnuts for the fuel filter are there).

On later bulkheads I think the wiper/washer holes are different so you get into finding td5 wiper/washer bits - perhaps someone else can confirm this?

Ignore them ^^^^^^^^^^^^ new footwells and door pillars - it'll be fine.

I've repaired things as bad as that.

Doing that amount of work is time consuming and difficult - either on or off the vehicle. Getting a second hand one will be a better option.

Les.

Wouldn't bother repairing the old one - not in that condition anyway!

Did it start life on a farm?

my 1989 90 has spent all it's life of farms and dosen't look bad at all

Chassis has needed some work mind

if i were you look for a new one but if you can weld well you could think about fixing if you cant find one for the right price